Like Tree3Likes

Driving in Lantau

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I was once on a bus up to the big buddha, before the cablecar opened, and a group of Hell's Wannabes were waving at the driver to slow down as they came round the bend. Thought they were just being selfish twots until after about 20 of them had passed there came a herd of cows/bulls/buffalos hot on their tails. Made the bus drive worth it!

I'm not advocating breaking the law - and generally do advocate being law abiding -, but it seems to be bureaucratically a nightmare to get a south lantau permit, even as a resident, just to temporarily drop into the area for one or two visits with a hire car, for example.

Hence, I was wondering how the south lantau closed road area is enforced, and the risk/return of a small fine (or worse?)

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    I'm not advocating breaking the law - and generally do advocate being law abiding -, but it seems to be bureaucratically a nightmare to get a south lantau permit, even as a resident, just to temporarily drop into the area for one or two visits with a hire car, for example.

Hence, I was wondering how the south lantau closed road area is enforced, and the risk/return of a small fine (or worse?)
    I am wondering if the same as ma wan/park island, ie, camera takes photo of offending car/driver and a fine via the post a few days later

Let's all go on the same day at the same time and we split the fine of whoever gets stopped

wtbhotia likes this.

What is it about a policy to restrict the number of cars on in a place with basically one narrow, very windy, road (often filled with cows and hikers) that makes people want to flout it?

Just to be clear: I'm a resident in South Lantau; it's just the complication becomes if I hire a car, I can't be told the registration plate of the vehicle before I get the car, and once I get the car, it's too long to get a temporary permit from the Transport Department. It's a bit of a circular problem for those who aren't actually buying and keeping a car (or at least leasing one for a long period). The TD does not issue non-car specific temporary permits. I would happily pay for a permit if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Just to be clear: I'm a resident in South Lantau; it's just the complication becomes if I hire a car, I can't be told the registration plate of the vehicle before I get the car, and once I get the car, it's too long to get a temporary permit from the Transport Department. It's a bit of a circular problem for those who aren't actually buying and keeping a car (or at least leasing one for a long period). The TD does not issue non-car specific temporary permits. I would happily pay for a permit if they did.
    There is a car share scheme I have seen on here and a friend told me about it.... can't recall the name but you might search.. then see if anyone in South Lantau with a permit is advertising. A long shot perhaps, but it does sound like the only way around the specific problem you have. Or borrow a car from the friend on Lantau.

Ah - this is the link to the app: http://www.carshare.hk

I have a similar one: part of my fee I pay to the Gold Coast entitles me to a car parking permit. Which would be great, except you have to give them the number plate of your car and it takes a while to get issued... whereas I hire a car once a year in November so I can't get my "free" car parking at all.

Just to add to the above: the reason I want to try a hire car in South Lantau is a test-run for maybe buying a car longer-term., as I am resident there. I agree the single windy road isn't the easiest driving route, but hence the "test run" with a hire car.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    I am wondering if the same as ma wan/park island, ie, camera takes photo of offending car/driver and a fine via the post a few days later
    From what I have seen whilst being on the 3M bus in South Lantau, there do not appear to be any cameras, automatic enforcement cameras, or checkpoint barriers - unless someone knows otherwise?

Adding to this, on an unrelated note, in Mui Wo everyone seems to just park wherever they like: including in Octopus meter spaces during chargeable hours without paying. I did a spot check on a number of meters during office hours, and it seems to be a free-for-all with no traffic parking enforcement of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    There is a car share scheme I have seen on here and a friend told me about it.... can't recall the name but you might search.. then see if anyone in South Lantau with a permit is advertising. A long shot perhaps, but it does sound like the only way around the specific problem you have. Or borrow a car from the friend on Lantau.

Ah - this is the link to the app: Carshare.hk - 香港網上租車平台 | {{$root.seo.pageTitle}}
    Thanks - I wasn't aware of this scheme: I did keep thinking that HK needs a Streetcar / ZIPcar equivalent, which I miss.

I don't see anyone on carshare in South Lantau - I would joke everyone in South Lantau needs to keep their car to negotiate the terrain!
    HK_Katherine likes this.