Like Tree51Likes

Which are the best food brands for a dog and where to buy in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Which are the best food brands for a dog and where to buy in HK?

Hello,

Can anyone recommend the best brands for dogs, where to find them in Hong Kong at a reasonable price? I have been to several pet shops and ordered some treats online but it is hard to figure out what's best to do for my dog health?

Thanks!

This like asking how long is a piece of string, you can do decades of research on this but will never get the right answer. Sure, other dog owners will recommend their (or rather their pet's) favourite dog food, but that really has no meaning to your dog.

First off you need to look at what your dog's dietary requirements are. Some breeds for example will need extra certain minerals for their wellbeing, and then there's individual dogs with specific requirements such as allergies. Factor in also how active and the age of the dog.

Some owners will swear on getting generic brands like Pedigree is good enough, whilst others go for hypoallergenic ones, and others will only buy the more expensive breed specific ones like Royal Canin for say pugs.

I have a cavalier King Charles spaniel, and he's a fussy eater. Anything lamb or beef he won't eat, he prefers chicken. I've tried all the expensive brands but his favourite is an obscure Japanese brand which I have to order online. I can't even read the ingredients list on the back..... I do supplement his food with some raw food up to twice a week which I prepare and freeze into portion sizes, consisting of

- diced carrots
    - liver
    - green tripe
    - raw eggs
    - sardines

I used to go for fish oil supplements or fish based dog food, but because I was feed it everyday, I couldn't really regulate my dog's intake of he fish oils. By feeding him this raw feed, it's enabled me to be more in control, and it's very visible on my dog.

Another brand of dog food I did feed him was Hill's (can't remember which specific one to be exact) but I felt his consistency of his poo to be very very soft, which then made me noticed he had to drink twice as much water.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Cho-man, wtbhotia, rani and 1 others like this.

This is what I feed my two schnauzers

Orijen | Biologically Appropriate Pet Food

available for delivery at

Whiskers N Paws

Human grade food, smells great, dogs love it and results in firm poo, unlike as mentioned above , the cheap stuff.

Dog food advisor is a great resource. They review every food based on the ingredients vs the price and give great recommendations.

Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

I have been purchasing my cat food from Epets.hk and they have been great. They carry Wellness brand which I have not been found in any pet store here in HK.

Cho-man likes this.

Great thanks a lot I will have a look at all these.

Also about treats, would you recommend the same brands? What is the best, I want something natural and healthy!

Of course, some recommended dog food brands may not be available in HK OP, always check on the availability of a particular brand, and if its not sold in HK, decide whether its worth the cost of having it shipped here or whether a substitute will do.

InesG, telling everyone what breed your dog is does really help as well

I have 3 huskies and did also have a FAT miniature Schnauzer (he passed away last year), My huskies go through 30lbs of dog food at least a month, and because my mrs spoils them with many treats they get more and more fussy so just dry dog food alone they wont touch unless I starve them which I wont, we mix the dry dog food with canned dog food , 2-3 times a week we boil meat with bone and cut it into pieces to mix with the dry dog food.

have a look at this website 寵物用品速遞, 狗糧、貓糧盡在APE - 買滿$100 可享免費寵物速遞服務 there area gazillion brands to choose from. Good luck finding the right one for your dog

Cho-man likes this.

Does anyone buy dog food in the cans in the supermarket any more or has the pet food world "moved on"? (the dog I grew up with, which lived to be 18 years old, was fed exclusively on canned dog food from the local supermarket; as was our cat before it got ran over - something I can't blame on his diet!).

Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Does anyone buy dog food in the cans in the supermarket any more or has the pet food world "moved on"? (the dog I grew up with, which lived to be 18 years old, was fed exclusively on canned dog food from the local supermarket; as was our cat before it got ran over - something I can't blame on his diet!).
    My mrs does sometimes but she uses them to feed some of the village dogs that she likes. Just feeding canned dog food everyday can be quite expensive.

The canned dog food we buy for our huskies cost $35 each and we only use a quarter of the can each time to mix with the dry dog food, add some flavour
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    My parents fed theirs on Pedigree Chum mixed with a vile smelling boiled meat from the local abattoir, horse I think,. Dogs loved it and lived to ripe old age.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast