Like Tree47Likes

Where is the cheapest place to live?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Where is the cheapest place to live?

My friend is thinking of moving to Hong Kong, and asked me where to find cheap places to live.. when I say cheap.. I wanna see cockroaches on the floor lol
    Since I haven't been living here that long, I'm not sure where to look.. but someone told me Shek Kip Mei, Prince Edward, Sham Shui Po area is like dirt cheap, around 3-4k per month excluding electric, any truth to this? Or anybody know of other cheap places under 4k per month?

thanks

Peng Chau .

Village houses in North District. I know someone who was renting the first two floors (or one floor and a sort of mezzanine) of a village house in Fanling Wai, very close the public swimming pool and the MTR, for 4,000. It was cosy but clean. I have heard that houses in somewhat more mosquito-infested areas of Fanling / Sheng Shui, at the ends of long, windy dirt paths, can be had for just a couple of thousand. And forget the cockroaches. You'll get those anyway. It's the mosquitoes that separate the cheap from the dirt cheap.

Last edited by M Khan; 20-01-2015 at 08:19 AM.
    rani, imparanoic and chodaboy like this.

Subdivided flats in places like Sham Shui Po are only cheap in total $$ terms, but often still outrageously expensive per square foot (specially if you actually have a window).

CHEAP is in remote villages accessible only by foot or sampan (with extra cheapo points if there are lots of steps or a steep hill to reach the place) - some are in remote corners of Northern New Territories, as mentioned above; others are on islands. I even know one family with a silly-cheap village house on one of the hills around Shatin Station: it takes them 40+ minutes to walk up, but only 5 minutes to slide down when there's a good head of water running down the path.

Not so many cockroaches up those hills: they stay outside most of the time as there is plenty of food for them there. Then the little snakes eat them (and THEY come inside...)

chodaboy and R.O. like this.

Cheapest place is to live at home with your parents.

shri, ecy5maa, Morrison and 5 others like this.

I know they must be cheap, but who to ask about the villages that line Tai Tam Bay?

Where does he need to commute to? The commute costs might negate the cheap rent. Or is he just arriving without a long term job commitment?

Suggest looking at Sea Ranch ..

If he doesn't need any privacy - not sure if the places that the stay out Domestic helpers live in, are viable.

Skyhook and chodaboy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    Cheapest place is to live at home with your parents.
    Cheapest place to rent is one paid for by your employer. Money for jam

[QUOTE=shri;3056933If he doesn't need any privacy - not sure if the places that the stay out Domestic helpers live in, are viable.[/QUOTE]

Just saw an ad on FB directed at helpers from helpers, 1800 pm for room, 200 for utilities bills, 2K total PM for a room in Sai Kung with shared kitchen and bathroom, u just cant beat these prices LOL

It used to be a tent in Central.

wtbhotia, shri, papaya and 3 others like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast