Like Tree193Likes

I've HAD IT with Hong Kong... Advice? Wanna move to Singapore.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

we had this debate often, it's possible that the visible pollution is marginally less in NT, but it's been proven that actual air quality differences is minimal throughout HK

Weather photo taken by realtime webcams

do you think NT photos show visibly less pollution compared to TST and HK island?

The EPD on;y has 12 background pollution monitoring sites across the city.

Pollution can be very localised.

these presentations show that a few meters in location can make a hue difference in readings

www.cleartheair.org.hk/tc/media/pdf/map-part-1. pdf
    www.cleartheair.org.hk/tc/media/pdf/map-part-2. pdf

To compare HK's 12 locations quickly you can use
    Tung Chung, HongKong Air Pollution: Real-time PM2.5 Air Quality Index (AQI)
    Sha Tin, HongKong Air Pollution: Real-time PM2.5 Air Quality Index (AQI)

Last edited by East_coast; 12-02-2015 at 09:54 AM.
    ray98 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Pollution has been bad for 10 years. That's a short period of time for long term chronic illness to be kicking in. Air pollution also affects children more than adults- you're going to want to look at how many 10 year olds develop asthma when they are teenagers.

> The area is my ancestral village, so I should know what I'm talking about.

Ah, no, that is a terrible argument. That's one step away from superstition. This is like saying "my parents and grandparents always boiled water, so I have to boil water before drinking". Your previous generations didn't grow up as children blanketed in smog.
    Ok, so you are quoting the future. If you are so sure the air is going to harm you, then surely you would get a Beijing type exodus. I haven't noticed this happening.

Let me put it like this. 681 going to work, no problem with air. 681 at Central, you can feel the air being heavier and less clear. 681 back to home, air is clear. That's my personal experience.

Not sure if you know this, but rural communities like Sap Sze Heung, everybody hears everything about anybody because of the history, everyone knows everybody there. It's like a surveillance system that the CIA would be proud of. So if anybody was ill or dying from pollution, people would know.
    Cho-man likes this.

1. do act now, otherwise you will stay longer here just out of habit.
    I did 7 years in Beijing
    2. Read how pm 2.5 enter and affect your body, see blood clots

Hong Kong is polluted. All districts are pretty much the same (except for the roadside pollution). And pollution will eventually do you harm.

On the other hand, HK is safe (little chance of a drive-by shooting or a guy killing all the kids in a school); has excellent pubic healthcare; surprisingly low traffic accidents given the terrible local drivers (perhaps because so few of the population drive and MTR and bus transport are statistically much safer than driving).

So - choose your poison. Nowhere is risk-free. Singapore scores well, but you might die of boredom!

Ho Hum.
    Tung Chung is no worse than most of HK. The air pollution there is just a bit different, not worse.
    You might try living on the extreme far end of HK, from where you are, if you want something less polluted

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Hong Kong is polluted. All districts are pretty much the same (except for the roadside pollution). And pollution will eventually do you harm.

On the other hand, HK is safe (little chance of a drive-by shooting or a guy killing all the kids in a school); has excellent pubic healthcare; surprisingly low traffic accidents given the terrible local drivers (perhaps because so few of the population drive and MTR and bus transport are statistically much safer than driving).

So - choose your poison. Nowhere is risk-free. Singapore scores well, but you might die of boredom!
    I should also add Singapore ain't all bed and roses either. As the other earlier poster mentioned, air pollution can get pretty bad there too due to smoke drifting to the city-state from the forest fire burning in Indonesia.

Yes, Singapore has a more pleasant urban environment, with more greenery and open space in its residential areas. HK is more of a concrete jungle in contrast. But then, HK has more real "wild" places in our country parks, which Singapore don't really have much of. The green spaces in Singapore is all manicured and artificial while HK's country parks are more "real".

Also, in HK, you get relief from the tropical heat and humidity for a third to half-the-year. HK has a humid subtropical climate vs a tropical rainforest climate in Singapore. We get noticeably cooler and drier weather in the fall and winter (and on occasion, downright chilly temperatures). Whereas in Singapore, you basically sweat 365 days a year, nasty.

And of course, there are also the lower taxes, more political freedoms and the lack of censorship in HK compared to Singapore...
    Last edited by Cho-man; 12-02-2015 at 11:08 AM.
    Elegiaque and papaya like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    I should also add Singapore ain't all bed and roses either. As the other earlier poster mentioned, air pollution can get pretty bad there too due to smoke drifting to the city-state from the forest fire burning in Indonesia.

Yes, Singapore has a more pleasant urban environment, with more greenery and open space in its residential areas. HK is more of a concrete jungle in contrast. But then, HK has more real "wild" places in our country parks, which Singapore don't really have much of. The green spaces in Singapore is all manicured and artificial while HK's country parks are more "real".

Also, in HK, you get relief from the tropical heat and humidity for a third to half-the-year. HK has a humid subtropical climate vs a tropical rainforest climate in Singapore. We get noticeably cooler weather in the fall and winter (and on occasion, downright chilly temperatures). Whereas in Singapore, you basically sweat 365 days a year, nasty.

And of course, there are also the lower taxes, more political freedoms and the lack of censorship in HK compared to Singapore...
    My Singaporean friends told me, Singapore have four seasons, hot, hotter, wet and wetter. He said Singapore do not have mountains only hills.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy1234:
    My Singaporean friends told me, Singapore have four seasons, hot, hotter, wet and wetter. He said Singapore do not have mountains only hills.
    Singapore is more or less flat. So that too, the mountain and hills in HK provide an interesting visual and scenic contrast, whereas Singapore is flat and boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Singapore is more or less flat. So that too, the mountain and hills in HK provide an interesting visual and scenic contrast, whereas Singapore is flat and boring.
    Singaporean watch boring TVB drama

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast