Like Tree193Likes

I've HAD IT with Hong Kong... Advice? Wanna move to Singapore.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

We need more occupy central movements to improve the AQI

Pollution Solution: Occupy Central vastly improves air quality in Hong Kong... not including tear gas | Coconuts Hong Kong

Cho-man, Elegiaque and bookblogger like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Haven't the faintest idea.

This was my factual experience and these were my perception of those facts.

The measurements on the air quality is at one spot within a few metres and that's suppose to represent an area if several square km? Not convinced.

Got a problem with what I said?

I guess its fine if I peed at one end of your pool and you were taking gulps of water from the other end?

TheBrit likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Mat, gunsnroses, hullexile and 4 others like this.

Original Post Deleted
    True but move it a few 100 metres and you might get totally different readings. Basic statistics mate, never been on a biology field trip have you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dankleness:
    I guess its fine if I peed at one end of your pool and you were taking gulps of water from the other end?
    So just because Rafael Hui got done for corruption, all Hong Kong civil servants are bent now?

Well this thread has totally deviated its course-- I just wanted some advice on Singapore immigration laws

I'm happy for all the people who feel happy here or have no qualms about raising their children in HK.

I try to look at this problem from a scientific point of view rather than from people's "perceptions" or feelings or emotional attachment to the area.

The aqi measurements seem pretty accurate when, on a sunny day with clear skies and readings of 243 at 1PM, I look out the window of my 46th floor apartment and see NOTHING.

The problem of air pollution in HK is fairly new (this last decade) so long term health effects can't be measured now. And yes many people been here for years and have no health effects that they can "feel" (at least not YET, right?), just like there are plenty of smokers out there that keep happily puffing in their 70s. Good for them!

I'm not taking that risk with my daughter. Before moving here, I had friends already living in the area that kept telling me "the air is FINE, you're going to LOVE it!"
    My husband was here for a month in the summer and "didn't notice anything"... I am still kicking myself for not doing better research before jumping on that plane. Props to the happy HK dwellers, but it's not for me.

And I don't care if Singapore is not "as fun" or if the parks are "manicured" and there are lest mountains and trails... Again, if you can't go out and enjoy those things, why does it matter? I grew up climbing mountains. The view when you get to the top is your reward... I guess people like looking at smog from the top of a mountain? Sorry, I don't get it.

I'm not trying to be right, I'm just saying I don't like it and I wish I did. My husband loves it here. I had enough. I just want to know how we can move to the Pore! It would be really easy due to my husband's job as a pilot. The complicated part is the visa process, if the possibility exists for a US family with permanent employment with a HK company that allows living anywhere.

Thanks everyone for your insight.

TheBrit, Dankleness and hullexile like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Nope, biology field trip in the Irwell valley when I was doing my GCSE, got taught how to statically interpret the plant specie profile of the area.

Going by your logic, a lot of auditors would be unemployed if the requirements were just to test one transaction to form an overall opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    It's a bit of a catch 22 isn't it? You don't like the pollution, you plug in a machine that makes your immediate situation better, but that sucks up electricity that the power plants in China have to produce. And to even have that purifiers, it has to be made in a factory (in China). It's always seemed a bit ironic to me that Westerners come to HK, become disgusted at the pollution and want to get away from it, but it's, in a large part, the Western lifestyle and all the stuff we have that's made this air pollution mess in the first place..... Buying and running more appliances makes the overall situation worse, not better. (Please, if someone has some data on this, correct me if I'm mistaken...)
    Not so much... the energy consumption of your standard Japanese-branded air purifier is quite low. My large ones consume somewhere between 20-30W (off memory, haven't measured them since I bought them) so they are better than running lighting, and a small fraction of what we chew up for air conditioning. Or a quarter of what a fairly typical PC consumes.

However if you're running an IQAir, they do chew up a lot more power- maybe a quarter or even half of what a window mounted AC consumes. Which I think is one of several good reasons not to get an IQAir.

Point taken about buying more 'stuff' (though mine happen to be made in Japan), but most of us consider air conditioners invaluable in HK. Air purifiers last practically forever (they're basically good quality fans, the consumable portion is small and only needs replacement every five or so years), so I wouldn't class them as disposable. In fact, I suspect they should far outlast something like wall mounted air conditioners and they would have much lower resource requirements for production as well as operation.

Quote Originally Posted by LaowaiLulu:
    Well this thread has totally deviated its course-- I just wanted some advice on Singapore immigration laws

I just want to know how we can move to the Pore! It would be really easy due to my husband's job as a pilot. The complicated part is the visa process, if the possibility exists for a US family with permanent employment with a HK company that allows living anywhere.

Why did you expect a Hong Kong forum to have great insight into moving to Singapore? Why not just find a Singapore forum!

Or look at other places closer to HK - Philippines - for example, would be less of a commute and has perfectly good air. And hills. And cheap accommodation and food. But more guns (but I guess if you are 'merican that's not a problem). And plenty of people move there so it must be relatively easy (or easy to bribe the right person anyway).

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast