Like Tree193Likes

I've HAD IT with Hong Kong... Advice? Wanna move to Singapore.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

Lao - have you fully researched giving up US citizenship? You have to continue to file taxes for 5 years after renouncing and you basically be blacklisted from ever returning to live in the US. It really only works for the extremely wealthy.

Do you really make enough money as a pilot/stay at home mom (just guessing as you said you have been indoors with your kid all week) to justify this? As in significantly more than the $100K that's tax free for overseas residents plus the deductions for housing and living expenses?

I wouldn't plan where to live based on renunciation alone, if that's the appeal of Singapore. There are other considerations. Your daughter may wish to go work or study in the US one day and giving up your citizenship will make that more challenging. Our real estate agent in HK studied in the US and was not able to get a work visa to stay, she is still upset about it...

Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Ditching US citizenship for tax purposes? Oh boy, you are opening another can of worms there.
    Record Number Gave Up U.S. Citizenship or Long-Term Residency - WSJ

Cho-man likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Some expats taking up PR in Singapore sometimes don't realise that their PR son(s) get a good dose of discipline through the compulsory National Service when they come of age.

Cho-man likes this.

How many of them became Canadians instead I wonder?

But on a bit more serious note, I don't think ditching US citizenship is as popular, simple and care-free as that article suggests. There are many factors to consider. And yes, there can also be negative consequences for abandoning US citizenship too...
    Last edited by Cho-man; 12-02-2015 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    P.S-I don't think anyone of us here moved to HK for the hiking, so your point is moot and irrelevant.

the hiking/trail running was a big part of why i wanted to move here.
    not the top reason, but top 5, for sure.
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw:
    It's not the reason why I moved here but it definitely is one of the main reason I still kinda like HK, despite all its flaws (and they are many - pollution being a major one, if not the main for me)
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Some expats taking up PR in Singapore sometimes don't realise that their PR son(s) get a good dose of discipline through the compulsory National Service when they come of age.
    How to avoid national service in Singapore

Singapore Dissident: Singapore. How to avoid national service (Disclaimer 02/06/2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw:
    My prerequisite for the move was that there was mountains and hiking. I assumed (like many, I suspect) that there was none in HK and only agreed to come here on production of the CountrySide series of maps....

And I too hate the pollution and yes, it will probably be the reason we leave eventually. But having lived in 5 different countries now, I know that life only "looks" greener on the other side of the fence!
    Cho-man and Elegiaque like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    It's not the reason why I moved here but it definitely is one of the main reason I still kinda like HK, despite all its flaws (and they are many - pollution being a major one, if not the main for me)
    Precisely.

Heck, I didn't even know there were so many hiking trails in the city when I first moved here. But once I realized that, I became an avid hiker. Some of the scenery from the hiking trails can make you forget you are in HK. Makes the city worth living for me, despite the pollution.

Curious, OP? So you just decide to go ahead and post on an internet forum? What nerve! Who do you think you are anyways? People obviously have much better things to do, sheeeesh.

LaowaiLulu likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast