Like Tree20Likes

Moving from London to HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Moving from London to HK

Hi there,
    My husband has relocated for work to Hong Kong and we're looking for a flat in a nice building for up to $45k. We need 2 bedrooms and would like a bit of a view and some storage. He's looked at a couple of shoe boxes in mid-levels and we're now thinking of casting the net a bit wider. I've seen some nice looking places on the Internet in Kennedy Town and Kowloon but don't know anything about the neighbourhoods or the commute to Central. Would like to be somewhere within walking distance of restaurants, shops etc if possible.
    Any suggestions? Or opinions on Kennedy Town, Kowloon?
    Also Saw a couple of places in Repulse Bay and Ap Lei Chau that looked nice. Is that really far from Central?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions/comments!!

Kennedy Town is a cool area if you are OK with the more local vibe on the streets. For that price you can do better than Mid-Levels. I saw a new building in K-Town asking around that much for two bedrooms with sea views and a gym - although I hear landlords might be putting up the rents (PM me for details). And it's a short ride to Central on the MTR or by taxi. I also realized that some of what is marketed as "Mid Levels West" is really Sai Ying Pun/HKU area, which has some newer buildings. Similarly the Belcher's (not a fan of the flats but has great facilities) is marketed as Pokfulam but it's on top of HKU station and really in Kennedy Town. Ask your agent to help on this.

Kowloon - do you mean the general area or the area around Kowloon Station? I am staying at the latter in serviced housing and I cannot WAIT to move out of here. The only thing around is Elements which is a high end shopping mall, if you want to pick up some Chanel on your way home from grocery shopping it is perfect. And while it's amazingly convenient for people working at IFC, the walk through Hong Kong station to Central station is unpleasant due to the huge masses of people.

Repulse bay is nice but out of your budget and not really walking distance to very much.
    Ap Lei Chau is, ummm, hmmm - save that till you get here

For 45K, I'd look in WanChai, TinHau, TaiHang, NorthPoint areas. Trivial to commute to Central (10 mins on the MTR) and close to tons of stuff.

The walk to TST is more like 20-25 minutes (and I'm a fast walker). We are on the side where the residential complexes are so that's the walk that would be necessary. And if you want to buy groceries the walk back carrying those things isn't great. TST to Elements is minimum fare on the taxis though.

It's almost easier to get to Sai Ying Pun via Western Harbour Tunnel bus than to TST from here.

Mat likes this.

Original Post Deleted

Alfresco in Jordan

Alfresco in Elements

these places may be 8 minute walk from each other but they are extremely 'culturally' isolated from each other...

OP - look around various places. Do you want somewhere that has a good address or somewhere nice to live?
    Last edited by East_coast; 13-02-2015 at 09:40 AM.

Where I live is the absolute best and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise!

Mat and Skyhook like this.

Look at Kennedy Road, perhaps somewhere like Bamboo Grove.

Decent location in Wanchai and set back in the quieter area. Good access to the wet market and the bars/restaurants around star street. Also walking distance to central but only a 10 min walk to Wanchai MTR also.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Alfresco in Elements
    Being in a serviced apartment with a tiny kitchen above Elements we've eaten from nearly every place in this shopping complex. They are all overpriced for what they offer. This place caters to mainland Chinese tourists with lots of money in their pockets. Perhaps you require your morning coffee to be from Michelin-star chef Joel Robouchon but I do not!

If the OP is coming from London and wants somewhere close to central with shops and restaurants, Kennedy Town is a great place to start. Kowloon Station is like Canary Wharf OP - so determine if that's what you are looking for.

I do not mean to offend anyone and Jordan I'm sure is nice, but if you work in Central and live in Kowloon you are not going to be passing through Jordan, you will be walking 10 minutes underground to Hong Kong station and then going past the Clinique store to get home to your apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dankleness:
    Where I live is the absolute best and don't let anyone else tell you otherwise!
    Honestly.

TST and Jordan are interesting. Kowloon Station is not. Yet people who live in Jordan/TST are saying Kowloon is good because it is sort of near those areas. Weird!

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Honestly.

TST and Jordan are interesting. Kowloon Station is not. Yet people who live in Jordan/TST are saying Kowloon is good because it is sort of near those areas. Weird!
    you want to live in Jordan, beware so parts are red light district, though not as obvious as seedy parts of wan chai

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast