Like Tree193Likes

I've HAD IT with Hong Kong... Advice? Wanna move to Singapore.

Closed Thread
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Yeah China sucks, not to mention waiting around for hours on the apron for military aircraft which get priority over commercially registered aircraft. Also having ' official ' Chinese navigators that have eye wateringly bad breath in the close confines of a flight deck....!

Nobody likes flying in PRC airspace, that's a given.
    Haha, I don't think he has had the lovely visit of the Official Navigator yet

He loves Japan turns because he gets a break from the controllers.

I read through the posting and didn't find anyone who suggested moving south from HK island, Kowloon and the NT to an outer island such as Lamma. Many people simply would rather leave HK than to live 30 minutes by ferry or their own boat from Central than to be inconvenienced. Yes, there are few amenities on Lamma, but if one is truly seeking cleaner air head south away from autos, trucks, planes. Granted, the ferries are still using bunker as fuel but that will be eventually phased out. There are many families that realize that picking up groceries on Sunday either on their own or with a helper' s assistance is far easier than sitting inside with an air purifier. Yes, there are beaches nearby and residents do have washers, dryers, ovens and amazing views.

Liked likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by biffski:
    I read through the posting and didn't find anyone who suggested moving south from HK island
    South of HK Island? Ap Lei Chau?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I realise this was asked of the OP, but thought I'd answer this anyway.

I run purifiers because I use a particle counter to measure indoor air quality, because as the above post kind of gives away, I beleive in looking at data rather than relying on vague handwaving.

This morning, I checked the counter and air outside my apartment measured worse for particulates than standing directly outside Man Mo Temple on Hollywood Rd, which is famous for burning massive amounts of incense. If you're familiar with the incense-burning shrine that sits just off Lan Kwai Fong on Wo On Lane next to the Taco Truck, the air is within 10% of that.

Edit: I should add that I am running two air purifiers in my living room. Things bring inside air to 5-10% of the reading of outside air.
    I also have a particular counter and 2 air purifiers at home and the number is about the same as yours (10% of the reading if i have windows opened). I don't have any lung or breathing issues (yet!) but i just want to spend close to 50% of my time breathing better quality air.

Quote Originally Posted by shektau6:
    I also have a particular counter and 2 air purifiers at home and the number is about the same as yours (10% of the reading if i have windows opened). I don't have any lung or breathing issues (yet!) but i just want to spend close to 50% of my time breathing better quality air.
    Where do you get these things to read the air quality? I want to buy one.

I read through the posting and didn't find anyone who suggested moving south from HK island, Kowloon and the NT to an outer island such as Lamma. Many people simply would rather leave HK than to live 30 minutes by ferry or their own boat from Central than to be inconvenienced. Yes, there are few amenities on Lamma, but if one is truly seeking cleaner air head south away from autos, trucks, planes. Granted, the ferries are still using bunker as fuel but that will be eventually phased out. There are many families that realize that picking up groceries on Sunday either on their own or with a helper' s assistance is far easier than sitting inside with an air purifier. Yes, there are beaches nearby and residents do have washers, dryers, ovens and amazing views.
    dont kid yourself. its the same air.

Watch documentary on China Air Under the Dome by Chai Jing on youtube

Cho-man and Natfixit like this.

No, actually not. It is proven cleaner and clearer both anecdotally and statistically.

But the OPs partner is a pilot, so I think living on Lamma is a pretty unrealistic commute. Perhaps they could consider Peng Chau, but surely Pui O on Lantau would be good enough! Op, have you looked at houses in Pui O?
    Mat likes this.