View Poll Results: What currency do you use as your default or use exclusively?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • USD (American Dollars)

6 66.67%
  • GBP (Great Britain Pounds)

0 0%
  • I use more than one with a syncing/fixed currency converter

2 22.22%
  • Other single currency

1 11.11%

E-Commerce Survey: What currency do you use as your default (or exclusively)?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

E-Commerce Survey: What currency do you use as your default (or exclusively)?

As some of you may know, I've been in the market of beginning an e-commerce business situated in Hong Kong for a while. Coming from Canada, I've always preferred to make purchases online in USD, as I was familiar with it, and well, most businesses are situated in the United States that I had formerly ordered from anyway.

But since our business will be situated in Hong Kong, I figure I shouldn't expect this type of exclusivity in our consumer base. I'm expecting people consumers from all across the world (hopefully), so I was wondering what type of currency people use as their default or use exclusively?

I've included a poll! Hopefully you guys can chime in!

Unfortunately for some, the USD is the main currency for international orders. What you could do is show prices in whatever currency they want, but ultimately, it will be their credit cards doing the exchange from USD to whatever currency they select.

Good luck

Bryan,

Thanks for the response! I felt the same, but was just wondering if that I was biased, considering I was actually located in North America.

What I'm curious is whether consumers outside of North America ultimately feel the same? For example, on eBay there's tons of GBP auctions, but I personally, prefer it displayed in USD as I feel it's a nuisance.. But to those who actually use GBP on a daily basis, is seeing auctions in USD a nuisance to them?

What a joke! The most important currency in the world is the Euro, and you haven't even included it in your list.

And who cares about the GBP? Why on earth did you include that? Do you think it's a "world currency"? The Singapore Dollar is more important that the British Pound...

Who red dotted me? I must have offended some English person

Yes, yes, you are still a world empire. Everybody admires you, you are number one, and thank you very much for civilising half the world. Happy now?

Can any Singaporean green dot me please?

Last edited by Safran; 24-01-2009 at 11:17 AM.

cmlg

Safran,

Congratulation! Red means happiness in Lunar New Year!

You are not the one with the longest red dot that I have seen on this forum - you are not the most....

HKD. We also have USD, GBP, EUR and AUD that the buyer can switch if they want.

This combination simply reflects the make up of the expats in HK and the currencies that they operate in. Like it or not, our biggest currency after HKD, is GBP followed closely by USD.

Last edited by shri; 24-01-2009 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmlg:
    Congratulation! Red means happiness in Lunar New Year!
    Oh! Thank you then!

It's funny how parochial and nationalistic some people remain after leaving their country. Make fun of Britain and you are sure that all English people are going to hate you (while of course they are the first to make fun or insult other countries). I haven't seen such susceptibility (and dissimulated racism) with any other people in the world. Serious!

And in spite of what everybody (specially the English and Americans) say about the French, they are the first to make fun of themselves and their own country.

And I am not even French!

Safran, not sure what you are on but it's not working for you. Maybe get your doc to switch your medication.

As for the actual question, I think Brian is spot on. I'm not American, I live in HK, buy from all over the world yet the only currency I want to see a price in is $US. Anyone who buys online will know what the $US is worth compared to their own.

Thanks for all the replies!

GBP and USD seems quite synonymous no matter where the geographical location I suppose. Personally speaking, I do prefer USD quite a bit more, however, from what it seems, GBP seems consistently among the tops in terms of actual use, hence, I'll also take it to consider.

Safran does make a good point with the EUR, hence, I'll likely factor that in.

I suppose the top currencies of choice is USD, GBP, and EUR in no specific order. With that being said, I suppose the large majority of our online consumers will be covered. I still do intend to use a default currency, and from the looks of the poll in its early stages, USD still seems like a front runner.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast