Retaking my third year at Uni in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Retaking my third year at Uni in HK?

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about redoing a third year at University? I failed my third year and was given a higher diploma in education for two years of work. The last year I let slip by me and I regret it everyday, as a bachelor's degree is almost a neccesity to get a decent job in HK.

Any ideas where in HK I could finish my third year off, or if it's even possible?

To clarify, where did you study before? HK or somewhere else?

Apologies. At the UEA in England.

Paging hullexile!

I think he's the man who could answer this...

He's just got up! What subject area? One option would be a top-up year which converts a Higher Dip to an Honours Degree. There are plenty available.

Quote Originally Posted by turnjet:
    I was wondering if anyone knows anything about redoing a third year at University? I failed my third year and was given a higher diploma in education for two years of work. The last year I let slip by me and I regret it everyday, as a bachelor's degree is almost a neccesity to get a decent job in HK.

Any ideas where in HK I could finish my third year off, or if it's even possible?
    Not sure exactly what you mean by redoing the year. Redoing failed courses or a combo of that plus re-taking passed courses to improve your GPA would be one question for you.

If you want to retake specific courses as you think you can ace them and improve your GPA, then you first need to be assured that you are that good at that subject or moving from D's to C's doesn't much help you.

The bigger issue for you is whether any HK university will accept a transfer student and give them credit for two years when the last academic year on the transcript is a failed one. To determine that you should contact admissions advisors at each of the local universities. Not sure about HK but in North America, it'd be a stretch to get in given that the prior year was a bomb out. They would have you go back to your original school first.

Another issue is whether you were Required to Withdraw due to the failure.
    Last edited by Football16; 25-01-2009 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    Not sure exactly what you mean by redoing the year. Redoing failed courses or a combo of that plus re-taking passed courses to improve your GPA would be one question for you.

If you want to retake specific courses as you think you can ace them and improve your GPA, then you first need to be assured that you are that good at that subject or moving from D's to C's doesn't much help you.

The bigger issue for you is whether any HK university will accept a transfer student and give them credit for two years when the last academic year on the transcript is a failed one. To determine that you should contact admissions advisors at each of the local universities. Not sure about HK but in North America, it'd be a stretch to get in given that the prior year was a bomb out. They would have you go back to your original school first.

Another issue is whether you were Required to Withdraw due to the failure.
    We don't use GPA in the UK. Your degree is awarded one of several classifications depending on your marks. You can not retake a degree you have already received to improve the mark. In this case the student accepted what is called a contained award, i.e. he did not satisfy the requirements for either an honours or ordinary degree so was awarded a higher diploma. He could probably have refused that and retaken the final year, but having accepted it he can not now retake. It would almost certainly not be possible for him to retake that degree at the same university. What he should be looking for is a university to accept the higher diploma as equivalent to the first two years of the degree and so go straight to level 3. We (and several other UK universities operating here) would do that allowing him to study for a UK degree in Hong Kong. It depends on the subject though to see if one is possible. We offer business and management, marketing, supply chain management, accounting and finance, business information systems, multimedia for example. Courses are theoretically taught in English.

Edit: just woken up properly and noticed he has said it was in education. That would rule out all the UK universities that I know of delivering courses here, sorry.
    Last edited by hullexile; 25-01-2009 at 12:38 PM.

Firstly, my apologies for how unclear my original post was. I studied a course entitled, Business Information Systems which I see hullexile knows about. (PDLM was right, hullexhile knows what he’s talking about.) I took the contained award for the two years studied but didn’t receive enough UCAS points to get the degree.

I will look at all the Universities in HK and give their admissions an email about accepting my higher diploma as the first two years and go to level 3. You mention “we offer,” hullexile, who is we?

Thanks for the replies guys, really, really appreciate this one.

PM sent....

When do I get my commission?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast