Like Tree73Likes

Tips on surviving HK's sticky, humid summer

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    Why do big companies set their A/C to crazy low temperatures like 16°c? Seems to be a HK obsession!

Surely 21-23°c or thereabouts is perfectly adequate for most people.
    I am told that its because they think AC air = fresh air...
    Mat likes this.

I was told that it needs to be this cold to keep the humidity down.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

habit.

I heard a story that the airport, when it opened, had designed the aircon to be a sensible level (22 degrees, if I recall the conversation correctly). When it opened there were numerous complaints by locals that it was "too hot" so they retrofitted to bring it down to the current frigid temperature (which i why I travel with a sweater even to places like Manila in mid summer.... to survive the journey! Cathay planes are worse).

Stupid. Stupid.

It's far worse than most other Asian capitals too. Manila, KL... all much more sensible levels of ac.

Cho-man and Char Siu King like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    Why do big companies set their A/C to crazy low temperatures like 16°c? Seems to be a HK obsession!

Surely 21-23°c or thereabouts is perfectly adequate for most people.
    I thought it was a prestige thing, i.e. colder temps = building owner/tenant has more moolah ?

Why Hong Kong malls are freezing cold - Business Insider

this article offers one possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by heather11:
    I was told that it needs to be this cold to keep the humidity down.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks
    This is the real answer ime. The 22 C air con simply doesn't get rid of humidity well enough.
    Enderman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Viktri:
    This is the real answer ime. The 22 C air con simply doesn't get rid of humidity well enough.
    That's ridiculous. It just needs a dehumidify function on the aircon - nothing to do with the temperature. And besides, at 22 degrees humidity is not uncomfortable anyway.
    bookblogger likes this.

Mist 'N Sip® Bottles | O2COOL

back to the original question, I have tried using this insulated bottle with freeze cold water which was stored in the freezer in another bottle overnight, partial frozen after 6 hours, then transferred to o2-cool mist-n-sip-bottles ( bits of cold as well) for the start of this summer, good thing, as the bottle is double skinned, even with freezing water, so it don't get your bag wet from condensation or don't have to use plastic bags for storing freezing water bottles to prevent bag getting wet/condensation

also has a handy spray for fine mist of water

bad thing, the water retractable cap seems a bit tight ( but I just unscrew the entire top)

great for HK$99

I got it from :-

Reecho分店資料
    Re:echo油麻地體驗館
    地址: 九龍油麻地碧街50-56號1樓全層 (油麻地港鐵站A2出口,Circle K便利店樓上)
    1/F, 50-56 Pitt Street, Yau Ma Tei, Kowloon (Near Yau Ma Tei MTR Station, Exit A2)
    電話: (852) 2385 1822
    營業時間: 星期一至日(上午11時至晚上10時)

Re:echo荃灣店
    地址: 荃灣楊屋道1號荃新天地UG51號舖
    Shop UG51, Citywalk, 1 Yeung Uk Road, Tsuen Wan, New Territories
    電話: (852) 2838 1176
    營業時間: 星期一至四(上午11時30分至晚上9時30分 ) /星期五、六、日及公眾假期(上
    午11時30分至晚上10時)

Based on how my office works, the main reason the air con is kept low is because some employees keep turning it down.

I guess that is the main reason in retail shops, since employees have to wear uniforms. Since they have access to the AC dial they set it to a temperature that is comfortable for them and not for the comfort of people who are walking from the street in their shorts and flip-flops.

Any employee that says it is to do with being seen as luxurious or because of humidity is giving those reasons to fob customers off.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    That's ridiculous. It just needs a dehumidify function on the aircon - nothing to do with the temperature. And besides, at 22 degrees humidity is not uncomfortable anyway.
    Well, it is all relative...