Like Tree16Likes

How much is this car worth?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Does it mean that I should not consider Mk5, Mk6 due to DSG problems?

Quote Originally Posted by abcdef:
    Does it mean that I should not consider Mk5, Mk6 due to DSG problems?
    I had a old MK5 with DGS for 3 years and never had any problem with the DSG gearbox the car was 100k km. My Mk6 is no 35k and still no problem with DSG gear box.
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beuze:
    I had a old MK5 with DGS for 3 years and never had any problem with the DSG gearbox the car was 100k km. My Mk6 is no 35k and still no problem with DSG gear box.
    do you use vw for servicing twice a year? if not, does your garage checks the dsg, if yes, how? physically or computer analysis?

My late 2013 mk7 has only done 8000km

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    do you use vw for servicing twice a year? if not, does your garage checks the dsg, if yes, how? physically or computer analysis?
    I don't usually get a checkup unless there is a problem. I am not sure the cost/benefit works out in terms of lower maintenance expenditure or higher resale value. Is that an issue? (What does DSG mean, by the way? I am a car novice, as you can tell!)

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:

My late 2013 mk7 has only done 8000km
    I used VW for 3 years but now i use another garage much cheaper as vw warranty expired. For the DSG gear box my garage recommand to do a check at VW centre when my car is almost 50 000 km.
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by abcdef:
    I don't usually get a checkup unless there is a problem. I am not sure the cost/benefit works out in terms of lower maintenance expenditure or higher resale value. Is that an issue? (What does DSG mean, by the way? I am a car novice, as you can tell!)
    IMO, all cars annual servicing, but with DSG, it's complex and recommended servicing twice a year

NCS Fuel: Direct Shift Gearbox / Dual Sequential Gearbox (DSG)

I am kind of scared now. How much does it cost to check the DSG gearbox? Can any garage check it, or do I have to go to some bigger garage?

For DSG related diagnostic and software program adjustment etc you need to go to the authorised VW agent.

I've got a Jetta 2.0 tdi with DSG in Australia, the whole box was replaced 1 week before warranty expired as it used to hunt and go out of kilter when you slowed down and changed your mind hitting the throttle again making it jerk badly. The replacement box has been perfect. Not sure how vw hk handled recalls on the dsg box on known affected chassis numbers.

If the car you're buying has detailed service history it should give you a pretty good idea what overall condition the car is. A good base to start with, prior to getting a thorough pre purchase inspection report...

Last edited by Skyhook; 12-03-2015 at 12:11 PM.

Bear in mind in HK typically the larger the displacement does NOT equate to higher value. People in HK tend to stay away from larger displacement second hand cars because of the road tax based on displacement. I've seen S320s regularly sell at same prices as s500s, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Titus:
    Bear in mind in HK typically the larger the displacement does NOT equate to higher value. People in HK tend to stay away from larger displacement second hand cars because of the road tax based on displacement. I've seen S320s regularly sell at same prices as s500s, etc
    fuel cost as well, weekend drive only for a s320 probably spend around HK$1800 per month, a s500 probably around HK$3300!
    Titus likes this.