Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Tsk!

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    I don't want to end up brain damaged
    Too late already?
    TheBrit and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ray98:
    Not quite sure if you are addressing my post.

Let me explain. When I was a nipper, in our village, there were no direct water supplies to a house, we all used one communal tap for the whole village, so that meant storing water in buckets and it was advisable to boil the water before drinking. Over time, it became a habit, not just for villagers but Hong Kong generally - I think that's why many workplaces contract Watsons to supply drinking water today. My parents didn't lose this habit when we got to the UK, partially out of habit but partially to have a ready supply of hot water in a vacuum flask for making Chinese tea.
    Yeah, that's kind of what I assume is behind the boiled water craze in HK- that it is a habit left over from times when HK didn't have a treated water supply. Now that HK does have a first world water supply, it's redundant and a cultural artifact rather.

Not wanting to drink tap water because it squicks someone out, I can kind of understand. Kind of like how a lot of meat eaters don't like to think about where meat comes from. But when people (not pointing at you here, more a reference at past threads where this has been debated) insist that tap water is dangerous without being able to recognise that it's because that they have just been brought up to think that way, that's when things start getting really silly.

Personally, I think that the whole bottled water thing is an example of the power of marketing over sense. Heating water to 105 instead of 100 degrees like it makes any difference. Or in the West- fifteen years ago people used to consider tap water the preferred source, now people buy bottles of water that cost more than petrol. And we chew up huge amounts of energy in the treatment and transport (by ship and by road) of a commodity that is already frikken' piped into our houses and every building in the city.

Rant over.

Original Post Deleted
    Things must be getting bad at banks!

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Yeah, that's kind of what I assume is behind the boiled water craze in HK- that it is a habit left over from times when HK didn't have a treated water supply. Now that HK does have a first world water supply, it's redundant and a cultural artifact rather.

Not wanting to drink tap water because it squicks someone out, I can kind of understand. Kind of like how a lot of meat eaters don't like to think about where meat comes from. But when people (not pointing at you here, more a reference at past threads where this has been debated) insist that tap water is dangerous without being able to recognise that it's because that they have just been brought up to think that way, that's when things start getting really silly.

Personally, I think that the whole bottled water thing is an example of the power of marketing over sense. Heating water to 105 instead of 100 degrees like it makes any difference. Or in the West- fifteen years ago people used to consider tap water the preferred source, now people buy bottles of water that cost more than petrol. And we chew up huge amounts of energy in the treatment and transport (by ship and by road) of a commodity that is already frikken' piped into our houses and every building in the city.

Rant over.
    The comparison with meat eaters was exactly it. I have no doubts the tap water is generally safe for consumption but still - if you make jasmine tea with distilled water and tap water, you notice the difference, the tap water is slightly salty - ruins the flavour of the tea.

As for the eco points - all initiatives are bleeding pointless unless measures are draconian and have legal force. You can rant all you want but you won't change things one iota.

You know, prior to living in the big birdcage, the only place I'd ever seen bottled distilled water for sale, was at the hardware store, or the supermarket where they stock the mops and stuff. Come to think of it, distilled water was only ever used to top up the cells of your ( maintenance type ) lead acid car battery, or for use in your iron, you never drank it !

It actually amazes me that people actually have a preference for distilled water here, especially when they go hiking etc That's just bad news.

We filter our tap water through a 4 stage filtration process, which also mineralises the water. The only water I do purchase here is carbonated mineral water, because I like it, as a preferable alternative to drinking soda pop ( soft drink ) if I am out and about.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    You know, prior to living in the big birdcage, the only place I'd ever seen bottled distilled water for sale, was at the hardware store, or the supermarket where they stock the mops and stuff. Come to think of it, distilled water was only ever used to top up the cells of your ( maintenance type ) lead acid car battery, or for use in your iron, you never drank it !

It actually amazes me that people actually have a preference for distilled water here, especially when they go hiking etc That's just bad news.

We filter our tap water through a 4 stage filtration process, which also mineralises the water. The only water I do purchase here is carbonated mineral water, because I like it, as a preferable alternative to drinking soda pop ( soft drink ) if I am out and about.
    Same here. Distilled water - batteries, irons.

There was a WHO report many years ago that examined the health benefits of distilled water, and it came down on the negative side. However, as a form of distilled water is the only kind of clean water for a fair whack of the world's population, the report was never officially released.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRotavator:
    Too late already?
    1. We know too little about our interactions with the environment.
    2. We have very limited knowledge of how our body works.
    3. We also don't have proven method to reverse chronic toxicity.

We may be able to answer your question if we know enough about the 3 points listed.
    Last edited by Creative83; 14-05-2015 at 01:49 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4