Like Tree67Likes

Taking foreign spouse to UK

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Moving, I'm not sure about the nationalities or races involved. The issue to me is, naive as I am, I assumed that a British child, with a British parent, should be allowed to live in Britain with his or her parents. The revalation that many such children must either be separated from their 'foreign' parent, or else be forbidden to live in the UK, is sad to me.

Especially when you consider trying to explain such a thing. "Oh mummy can't live with us. The government won't let her in because she is not European."

But when you look at the restrictions and requirements, I also suspect that people who have the funds are just going to go "is it worth it".

Silly things like proving that I can speak English ... f' it. Not worth it.

Enderman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    But when you look at the restrictions and requirements, I also suspect that people who have the funds are just going to go "is it worth it".

That's pretty much our stance. We can afford it but it is too much effort.

I think in order to get total immigration numbers down they've stepped on the non-EU migrants part of the equation. They have no control at all over the number of EU migrants.

So, if I've got that right, if you are French or German you can take your Hong Kong wife and go and live/work in the UK without any means test, also receive benefits after 3 months.

A British citizen attempting the same will be means tested for salary and or savings and spouse refused if not up to the required level. Benefits eligibility is also delayed for some years in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Moving, I'm not sure about the nationalities or races involved. The issue to me is, naive as I am, I assumed that a British child, with a British parent, should be allowed to live in Britain with his or her parents. The revalation that many such children must either be separated from their 'foreign' parent, or else be forbidden to live in the UK, is sad to me.

Especially when you consider trying to explain such a thing. "Oh mummy can't live with us. The government won't let her in because she is not European."
    I don't disagree with you.

I tried to discuss then when I was back in the UK with my family earlier this year. My sister is also married to an Australian, who happened to be living in the UK when they met (well before this fiasco). I assumed, therefore, that she would also think that this situation is ridiculous. Far from it. As far as they were concerned, it was a "good" policy aimed at keeping out all those poor Bangladeshi wives who will go on welfare as soon as they arrive. When I tried to say something like "but if you'd met your husband in Australia and this was in effect, you might have been unable to bring him here" to which her (true, but unhelpful) reply was "no because he had the right to a apply for a UK passport because of his grandfather". She was completely unable to see that, but for a few (almost irrelevant) details, she could have been caught up in this. So if someone like that can't see how unfair this is, I can't see the Government changing their mind any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I don't disagree with you.

I tried to discuss then when I was back in the UK with my family earlier this year. My sister is also married to an Australian, who happened to be living in the UK when they met (well before this fiasco). I assumed, therefore, that she would also think that this situation is ridiculous. Far from it. As far as they were concerned, it was a "good" policy aimed at keeping out all those poor Bangladeshi wives who will go on welfare as soon as they arrive. When I tried to say something like "but if you'd met your husband in Australia and this was in effect, you might have been unable to bring him here" to which her (true, but unhelpful) reply was "no because he had the right to a apply for a UK passport because of his grandfather". She was completely unable to see that, but for a few (almost irrelevant) details, she could have been caught up in this. So if someone like that can't see how unfair this is, I can't see the Government changing their mind any time soon.
    Yes and this is confounded by a general ignorance on the subject. Most of my friends, all highly educated, assumed that as I was British my wife would automatically get British citizenship with no hassle.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Just to recap then, Syrian refugees fine, no problem. British citizen's wife or children, hang on a minute.

Like the quote :The Home Office said: "We welcome those who wish to make a life in the UK with their family, work hard and make a contribution. But family life must not be established here at the taxpayer's expense.'

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34191606

shri, jaykay, Enderman and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ern:
    Just to recap then, Syrian refugees fine, no problem. British citizen's wife or children, hang on a minute.

Like the quote :The Home Office said: "We welcome those who wish to make a life in the UK with their family, work hard and make a contribution. But family life must not be established here at the taxpayer's expense.'

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34191606
    The UK is doing far less than many other European countries on the matter of Syrian refugees. So they are consistent. And I'm not sure one group is any more deserving than another - both genuine refugees AND families of british citizens should be welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by shri:

Exactly...us, after a year of waiting which included being burgled and having our pub trashed by a gang of gypsies (we ran a pub in Oxford)...we said f' it.....

I think an argument could be made that if a refugee were turned away, their life would be in danger back in their home country whereas if it were in the case of the families, there is no danger to their lives.

I say this even though in a few years I may return back to the UK with my foreign spouse.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast