Like Tree3Likes

Is a dehumidifier function on a/c enough?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Hello everybody,
    We are also new to HK and I really got panicked after seeing our bedlinens got heavier and heavier(esp. after laying them out on the balcony hoping the wind will get rid of the dampness). Thanks to all the great advice on this forum I have now done the following:
    1. bought a 25 litre dehumidifier yesterday in Fortress(NEO MAX, never heard of this brand but the sales person strongly recommended it) for our 1,183 sq ft flat;
    2. bought 8 boxes of dehumidifiers and put them in all wardrobes and shoe case; will replace them as soon as the indicator says so;
    3. closed all the windows before turning on all the four aircons(with dry settings on); will switch to the Neo Max dehumidifier once it's delivered tomorrow.
    I'm hoping the above measures will help us get through the humid season(s) in HK.
    Can someone please let me know how many months in HK are considered humid if I'm being very fussy about the dampness, eg. I'd think it starts from Mid-Feb. this year.
    Thanks heaps!!!

There have a been a few days unusually early this year. Normally I would say early-April to mid-October. But within that period we normally get spells where it is a lot less humid and you can simply open the windows and let the air blow through.

Quote Originally Posted by OZTOHK:
    Hello everybody,
    We are also new to HK and I really got panicked after seeing our bedlinens got heavier and heavier(esp. after laying them out on the balcony hoping the wind will get rid of the dampness). Thanks to all the great advice on this forum I have now done the following:
    1. bought a 25 litre dehumidifier yesterday in Fortress(NEO MAX, never heard of this brand but the sales person strongly recommended it) for our 1,183 sq ft flat;
    2. bought 8 boxes of dehumidifiers and put them in all wardrobes and shoe case; will replace them as soon as the indicator says so;
    3. closed all the windows before turning on all the four aircons(with dry settings on); will switch to the Neo Max dehumidifier once it's delivered tomorrow.
    I'm hoping the above measures will help us get through the humid season(s) in HK.
    Can someone please let me know how many months in HK are considered humid if I'm being very fussy about the dampness, eg. I'd think it starts from Mid-Feb. this year.
    Thanks heaps!!!
    If you think this is humid then I would guess through to October. I guess it's about 80% now - will be high 90%s in the summer. It did hit 100% last year I remember.

Thanks very much PDLM. I guess I've done at least one right investment then on the dehumidifier, considering there are almost 7-8 months of humidity to combat! I guess my power bill won't look very pretty for sure.

Does this mean we also need to buy a clothes dryer too. My washing still isn't dry after 3 days - It's actually getting more damp I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by KRP:
    Does this mean we also need to buy a clothes dryer too. My washing still isn't dry after 3 days - It's actually getting more damp I'm sure.
    Hang it inside for a while after bringing it from outside (I am assuming you are hanging it outside) the damp feel will go very quickly.

A dehumidifier is enough in my small-ish apartment to get clothes to dry. But we send towels and bedlinen to a local laundry.

I find that a mid-power dehumidifier is capable of handling all the wet towels and linen that I am able to throw at it- a drier should not be necessary, but it'll work faster (and take more space and cost more...)

I bought a dehumidifier around 18 months ago and it does a great job. Since I have had it I have never had to use aircon. I simply use 3 tower fans in different rooms including my bedroom.

The only time I have a problem with damp and mold is when I am out of town as the dehumidifier cuts out after a day or so when the bucket is full (can't be bothered to set up a permanent drain facility on it) and this has led to moldy clothes etc.

I find aircon very noisy at night (I am a light sleeper) and have found a fan perfectly adequate. Much cheaper to run, too. I had aircon in a serviced apartment when I first arrived in HK and it got so cold I had to sleep under the duvet which seemed to defeat the object. Now in summer I sleep on top of the duvet and just use a tower fan. It seems to work and on really hot nights I find a couple of ice-cold beers do the trick.

Indeed, but getting a load of towels and sheets washed and dried costs about HK$35; for me the convenience of not having bed sheets and towels spread out all over the flat to dry, plus the reduced electricity bill through not having the dehumidifier running so much make that good value.

newgirl likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast