Like Tree26Likes

Worth getting laptop fixed or just buy new one?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nickelodeon1997:
    do you know any reliable and good for money places that would upgrade the RAM for you?
    like any of the computer centres in Mong Kok or Sham Shui Po?

I would too afraid to try that and pretty sure would mess it up and make it worse =_=
    any recommendations from the computer centres?

Ohhhh yeahhhh buddy, I can hear it lol
    I can hear it when I leave the bloody room ;p
    when it's really noisy, I know that it's gonna shut down soon.
    Any places you can recommend that would fit in a new fan for me?
    What places have you been to to get your new fan installed?

I don't have any recommendations as I'm a DIY-type. Also, you're backing up everything on the laptop right? It sounds like it could fail completely at any time.
    Enderman likes this.

I live in the NTs, maybe not much help as far as recommendations go...seriously though, any of those computer shops that put PCs together will help...you can even order the part yourself to make it easier.

It's not too difficult a DIY job if you fancy it...there's probably a YouTube vid. you can follow...finally, take huja's advice and backup...you're close to system failure.

in summary:

1. get a new fan installed
    2. new RAM - 8gb is a minimum these days
    3. change to SSD for the HDD
    4. re-apply thermal paste to the CPU
    5. install Windows 10

you'll have a laptop that runs as well as a new one for ~2000

nickelodeon1997 likes this.

Unless you're joking on that point, that's the problem. No laptop fan should should ever be that loud. Your bearings are screwed.

how much is a SSD and recommended manufacturer

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    how much is a SSD and recommended manufacturer
    Samsung 850 Series, e.g. Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250GB for $720 (an absolute bargain)
    Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250GB - SSD 固態硬碟 - 儲存 - 電腦 - 香港格價網 Price.com.hk
    Morrison likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Unless you're joking on that point, that's the problem. No laptop fan should should ever be that loud. Your bearings are screwed.
    This is no joke : I'm the proud owner of a Macbook Air that is louder my snoring.

I've taken it to Apple as well as the guys in 298 and they all tell me that they cant do anything about it. The fan works but its just damn loud.

Would you still suggest the lube method? Its a teeny/tiny fan - how it comes up with so much noise is a mystery to me....
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    This is no joke : I'm the proud owner of a Macbook Air that is louder my snoring.

I've taken it to Apple as well as the guys in 298 and they all tell me that they cant do anything about it. The fan works but its just damn loud.

Would you still suggest the lube method? Its a teeny/tiny fan - how it comes up with so much noise is a mystery to me....
    Huh, can't help you with Mac issues, sorry. I am too biased against Apple devices to be objective- could either be a bad fan, or just another example of incredibly shit product design that sometimes makes it into production and ends up shafting customers. Guess you should probably Google your model/year and "noisy fan", if you've not already done so.

It's kind of unlikely to be a single instance of a bad fan though. Once the bearings start going on a computer fan, the fan doesn't last for long and the grindy noises get pretty nasty and obvious. On the other hand, if it was a single bad fan rather than bad design, I could also see most repair shops thinking it not worth their time to replace it, so it's definitely worth searching.

Hard to say without actually seeing the machine, but if the machine really is hugely loud and you can find someone with an identical machine without the noise, I'd be inclined to take them both into an Apple store, run identical workloads, and then play the "obnoxiously loud Westerner" card.
    Last edited by jgl; 03-08-2015 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Samsung 850 Series, e.g. Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250GB for $720 (an absolute bargain)
    Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250GB - SSD 固態硬碟 - 儲存 - 電腦 - 香港格價網 Price.com.hk
    Excuse my ignorance but can I simply swap hdd for ssd, same connectors ? From the pic it seems yes.
    Dont know what to do with 250 Gb though, lap on steroids...

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Yes you can. Both 2.5" HDD and SSDs use the same power connector, and the same data connector (referred to as SATA). They are completely interchangeable from a physical connection perspective.

SSDs usually come with software that lets you migrate from the HDD (Acronis Trueimage or somesuch). If you use this, you should be able to use an external drive to swing over to the new drive.

If you consider 250GB "on steroids" then it sounds like your 11K laptops rotated on a 3 year basis are huge overkill! Thought you mentioned you were doing semi-serious graphics work in your OP?

Last edited by jgl; 03-08-2015 at 07:04 PM.
    Morrison likes this.