Like Tree8Likes

done with dell

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

In OP's defense, Dell is really overpriced for what they offer. From an international company you may expect their hardware to last longer then only as the warranty (that comes with the purchase) states. Hell, I had this Medion PC that I bought at the Aldi (German supermarket discounter) which lasted much longer en performed much better the my buddy's 'state of the art' Dell.
    If in doubt, go ahead and go buy Dell.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurtmesome:
    In OP's defense, Dell is really overpriced for what they offer. From an international company you may expect their hardware to last longer then only as the warranty (that comes with the purchase) states. Hell, I had this Medion PC that I bought at the Aldi (German supermarket discounter) which lasted much longer en performed much better the my buddy's 'state of the art' Dell.
    If in doubt, go ahead and go buy Dell.

When you base your opinion on a sample size of one, you are really relying on that thing also known as 'blind luck'.

If you have a PC bought from a German supermarket, good luck getting next day onsite service if something breaks. Especially if you are no longer in Germany. Good luck getting BIOS or device driver updates.

I don't like Dell machines- I am incredibly picky with laptops. But having been responsible for assessing and recommending hardware standards as part of my work, I have no problems with Dell's line for corporate environments. They're roughly inline, if not slightly cheaper, than similar brands, and the last time I priced them out for a company was a couple of months back. Their onsite warranty services are completely fine in Hong Kong.

Again, I would never buy a Dell machine for myself, but not because they are poor value or unreliable. I don't buy them because I am incredibly fussy with laptops, or I prefer DIY desktops. I also don't particularly like them as an organisation. However, I would have no hesitation recommending Dells for corporate use, and I bought one for my parents, who just wanted a reasonably reliable, cheap PC*.

* And if it ever breaks out of warranty, or the hard drive crashes, then they can have their data restored from backups.
    Last edited by jgl; 04-08-2015 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    When you base your opinion on a sample size of one, you are really relying on that thing also known as 'blind luck'.

If you have a PC bought from a German supermarket, good luck getting next day onsite service if something breaks. Especially if you are no longer in Germany. Good luck getting BIOS or device driver updates.

I don't like Dell machines- I am incredibly picky with laptops. But having been responsible for assessing and recommending hardware standards as part of my work, I have no problems with Dell's line for corporate environments. They're roughly inline, if not slightly cheaper, than similar brands, and the last time I priced them out for a company was a couple of months back. Their onsite warranty services are completely fine in Hong Kong.

Again, I would never buy a Dell machine for myself, but not because they are poor value or unreliable. I don't buy them because I am incredibly fussy with laptops, or I prefer DIY desktops. I also don't particularly like them as an organisation. However, I would have no hesitation recommending Dells for corporate use, and I bought one for my parents, who just wanted a reasonably reliable, cheap PC.
    Relax man, just stating my opinion just as you are stating yours. No need to get all riled up bout it...

Yeah, I should calm down.

I'm in tech, and I have an appreciation for statistics. So I occasionally fly off the handle when people state as fact opinions based on zero research and sample sizes of one.

Rob2020 and Morrison like this.

Yeah, I should calm down.

I'm in tech, and I have an appreciation for statistics. So I occasionally fly off the handle when people state as fact opinions based on zero research and sample sizes of one.
    reading on statistics is good, but if my own experience states otherwise why not trust myself? Peace

Btw: Medion, at least back then, was a company who assembled good desktops using reasonably good hardware and offered it at a good price. Only had to replace the video card after 3years of heavy gaming

What 'service' are you paying for here, exactly? Your machine is out of the warranty period, i.e. the period you pay to keep receiving support services. Out of this period, it's your responsibility to keep your gear taken care of, or if you're not able to do that, pay for extended warranties.
    i am not asking for any service. i am asking for the OS that i paid for to be sent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    i am not asking for any service. i am asking for the OS that i paid for to be sent to me.
    A lot of times with these pre built computers is that the OS is OEM, you're not going to get a disk with it on. You may find a Microsoft serial number stuck at the back or bottom or the PC, so you download the correct version from Microsoft's website and enter the serial number.
    dumbdonkey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    A lot of times with these pre built computers is that the OS is OEM, you're not going to get a disk with it on. You may find a Microsoft serial number stuck at the back or bottom or the PC, so you download the correct version from Microsoft's website and enter the serial number.
    this would've been the perfect response from dell's tech support. thank you.

May be Dell isn't as good as when my brother bought his laptop in 2006....