Like Tree9Likes

Dependents of Permanent Residents Question

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dependents of Permanent Residents Question

My husband and I recently got our PR. Can we pass our PR to our children now that we have it? Although they were all born in HK, they have NOT lived in HK for 7 consecutive years. Thx in advance.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

No.

imparanoic likes this.

As per the information I found on internet - Answer is YES

"Persons who were born in Hong Kong who are not of Chinese nationality may be entitled to permanent residence if one of their parents is a permanent resident . In such cases, the entitlement to permanent residence is only valid up to the age of 21, and thereafter these persons must apply for qualification on their own (article 24(2)(5) of the Basic Law). "

Check this link

Need to be born after your parents have PR. Kids do not inherit PR status once the parents get them after they're born.

Persons who were born in Hong Kong who are neither Chinese nationals nor have a parent who is a Hong Kong permanent resident acquire no legal rights by virtue of being born in Hong Kong. If the parents of such persons are living in Hong Kong , they must seek a dependant visa for the child.
    PKS_2000 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PKS_2000:
    As per the information I found on internet - Answer is YES

"Persons who were born in Hong Kong who are not of Chinese nationality may be entitled to permanent residence if one of their parents is a permanent resident . In such cases, the entitlement to permanent residence is only valid up to the age of 21, and thereafter these persons must apply for qualification on their own (article 24(2)(5) of the Basic Law). "

Check this link
    I believe Article 24(2)(5) only come into play if the parent is PR before the child is born.
    PKS_2000 and imparanoic like this.

Point taken. I misunderstood this.

Definitely not. I just got PR for myself, wife and 10 year old son. I also submitted an application for my 6.5 year old daughter at the same time and got a call from immigration telling me to withdrawal the application or they will reject it because she has not met 7 year requirement. So I withdrew and can apply for her again in November and then she should get it no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Definitely not. I just got PR for myself, wife and 10 year old son. I also submitted an application for my 6.5 year old daughter at the same time and got a call from immigration telling me to withdrawal the application or they will reject it because she has not met 7 year requirement. So I withdrew and can apply for her again in November and then she should get it no problem.
    Your son received PR because he has lived here for 7 years, right? He didn't get it 'from you'. If he had gotten it 'from you', your daughter would also have received it, but she has to have lived here for seven years to receive it. So there was no 'passing down of PR'.
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 26-08-2015 at 10:09 AM.
    emx likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Your son received PR because he has lived here for 7 years, right? He didn't get it 'from you'. If he had gotten it 'from you', your daughter would also have received it, but she has to have lived here for seven years to receive it. So there was no 'passing down of PR'.
    Yes that's exactly right and what I meant to say. The kids get it from being resident here themselves for 7 years. Son and wife moved here with me in Feb 2008 as a dependent of me. Daughter was not born until Sept 2008 in Tokyo and moved here in Nov 2008. So its Nov 2015 when she can apply for PR in her own right. I tried to pull a swifty over the immigration officers and see if they can just process us as a whole family and save me having to apply in Nov again just for one person but they have rules to follow which is of course understandable.
    PKS_2000 likes this.

Thanks bdw, just wanted to make it doubly clear... Some people read what they want in things.

BTW, I think you can actually make the application for PR one month in advance. Useful if you are travelling.

PKS_2000, bdw and emx like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast