Like Tree6Likes

Terminating lease on commencement day (6 months lease, 2 people)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Terminating lease on commencement day (6 months lease, 2 people)

Dear all,

We have signed a lease with my partner for 6 months today. Upon more inspection, we noticed that there's a brothel on one of the floors and apparently all the Chinese letters on the walls are about rape and sex-related things, which is a big source of worry for us.

I would like to ask ask if there is any legal way to break the contract early. The rental contract is for 6 months.

Would this require negotiating with the agency?

There's a reason why the rent was probably cheap.
    You didnt have a proper look first?

Explain to the agent and you'll probably need to forfeit some fees for pulling out.
    Maybe offer a month and see what they say.

Thank you very much for your reply. Our decision was rushed a little. We'll try to negotiate one month and see what they say.

Are there any laws binding the agency?

Any additional laws concerning terminating this early?

e.g. if stamp duty hasnt been paid and it hasnt been registered in the land registry? http://www.hkclic.org/en/topics/land...ancyAgreement/

Last edited by Otho; 12-10-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Would you happen to know if there is any place where I could seek legal advice via telephone? Preferably free-of-charge. After some browsing I noticed there should be one but I couldn't find the telephone number.

Ps. Is there any agency law binding the agent to tell that there is a prostitute place? We were rather rushed in checking the apartment. It's too bad.

Also, would you happen to know if it make a difference whether the stamp duty has been submitted yet or not?

Thanks for your help. I know it's not a nice situation for either party; I just hope we'll resolve it somehow.

Last edited by Otho; 12-10-2015 at 08:42 AM.

If you have signed the tenancy agreement then you are bound to comply with it. It doesn't make a difference if the document has been stamped from your perspective. You will probably have to forfeit your deposit.

I think the lesson learned is not to rush into signing a tenancy agreement. Sorry it has happened to you.

Thanks

How about agency law? I suppose there is no binding the agency to tell us that there is a place for prostitutes? My partner did ask about the mentioned floor because it looked a bit weird, and the agent said it's a tattoo shop.

Last edited by Otho; 12-10-2015 at 08:56 AM.

You can get 1 session of free legal advice through the free legal advice scheme :
    The Duty Lawyer Service : Free Legal Advice Scheme : Free Legal Advice Scheme

expect 4 weeks wait from application to appointment day if your case is not seen as urgent.
    hope this helps.

Original Post Deleted
    Dear OP, did you ask the agent, are there any whore houses in this building and he said no?

Or you had no idea until you signed?

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Dear OP, did you ask the agent, are there any whore houses in this building and he said no?

Or you had no idea until you signed?
    Is that a standard question to ask? Haha

In my opinion, it is (morally) the job of the agency to inform the tenant they are renting housing units next to whore houses. Not doing so is clearly deceitful especially when there are signs on the doors indicating such.

My advise is to just walk away from the lease (as long as you are willing to lose the deposits). I highly doubt the landlord or agency would go after you for such a small sum of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Is that a standard question to ask? Haha

In my opinion, it is (morally) the job of the agency to inform the tenant they are renting housing units next to whore houses. Not doing so is clearly deceitful especially when there are signs on the doors indicating such.

My advise is to just walk away from the lease (as long as you are willing to lose the deposits). I highly doubt the landlord or agency would go after you for such a small sum of money.
    Since when did estate agents have any moral obligations?

Is it a legal obligation for estate agents to tell you about whore houses in your building?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast