Like Tree22Likes

deciding where to live and work

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    I think this has more to do with the HK problem of "forced-to-stay-late-at-office-because-boss-has-not-left" than the actual amount of work. If you get rid of this absurd work "rule", then it is possible...in some cases.

It also depends on the industry/field OP is in. Some industries have more fixed regular hours which may allow the OP to "sleep more". Others do not, or have very long shifts which will prevent the OP from sleeping so much.

Which raises the question, OP, what did you major in for your bachelors and what do you intend to do upon graduation?

P.S-Getting enough sleep is needed for one to work productively, OP. But I would not put "number-of-hours-one-can-sleep" as a priority to consider when choosing a career. It should always be your interest/passion and competence that comes first.
    Agreed, interest/passion is important. Unless you get smart and realise your initial choice is hell. Pick a job that allows you to do your hobbies too. Obviously this isn't a real question, a local educated grad never has these options. He's lucky if he works less than the helpers who put in 18-20 hour days. They can both write one short article per year about overtime and get skipped over till the next decade because they didn't learn the skills to stick up for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    I truly recommend the OP get a summer intern job to get a feel of how the real world works, especially here in Hong Kong.

I do have my suspicions that the OP is a troll, from what he describes himself as, why ask these questions on an expat forum?
    Because he'd get destroyed for being a middle class spoilt brat on the local forums.
    hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    I think this has more to do with the HK problem of "forced-to-stay-late-at-office-because-boss-has-not-left" than the actual amount of work. If you get rid of this absurd work "rule", then it is possible...in some cases.

It also depends on the industry/field OP is in. Some industries have more fixed regular hours which may allow the OP to "sleep more". Others do not, or have very long shifts which will prevent the OP from sleeping so much.

Which raises the question, OP, what did you major in for your bachelors and what do you intend to do upon graduation?

P.S-Getting enough sleep is needed for one to work productively, OP. But I would not put "number-of-hours-one-can-sleep" as a priority to consider when choosing a career. It should always be your interest/passion and competence that comes first.
    Because of the department requirement I got an internship at Cyberport this June to August. The stated working hours is 9 am - 6 pm, but I always stayed slightly longer at the office because of the staff bus timetable. As I lived far away, in Mong Kok, I had to get up at 7:30 am and leave home at 8:15 am in order to catch the staff bus at 8:30 am from Tai Kok Tsui.

As a result, I slept at about 10 pm, slightly less than 10 hours of sleep, and I could not do my hobbies totally in those 3 months (e.g. joining a local board games club gathering which runs to 11 pm). Even though I managed to continue my sport team training every Wednesday night, I was in a sub-optimal working condition every Thursday because after the training and return home, it was already 10:30 to 11 pm.

With 10 hours of sleep every night, I will be in a good shape. With 9, I will not be productive in the morning. With 8 only, I will be sick within a week.

Furthermore, my health was deteriorated in those 3 months because I couldn't get time to do exercise. My weight went from 60 kg at the beginning of June to 68 kg at the end of August, completely voiding my weight-reducing effort in the past year, and it negatively affects my race performance. If the situation continued for a year, I was afraid that I would become obese to a point that I had to stay in the hospital.

For your information, I am studying Information Systems / Computer Science at HKU. I want to be a software/app developer in the future and I have published two apps on Google Play.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsang:
    Because of the department requirement I got an internship at Cyberport this June to August. The stated working hours is 9 am - 6 pm, but I always stayed slightly longer at the office because of the staff bus timetable. As I lived far away, in Mong Kok, I had to get up at 7:30 am and leave home at 8:15 am in order to catch the staff bus at 8:30 am from Tai Kok Tsui.

As a result, I slept at about 10 pm, slightly less than 10 hours of sleep, and I could not do my hobbies totally in those 3 months (e.g. joining a local board games club gathering which runs to 11 pm). Even though I managed to continue my sport team training every Wednesday night, I was in a sub-optimal working condition every Thursday because after the training and return home, it was already 10:30 to 11 pm.

With 10 hours of sleep every night, I will be in a good shape. With 9, I will not be productive in the morning. With 8 only, I will be sick within a week.

Furthermore, my health was deteriorated in those 3 months because I couldn't get time to do exercise. My weight went from 60 kg at the beginning of June to 68 kg at the end of August, completely voiding my weight-reducing effort in the past year, and it negatively affects my race performance. If the situation continued for a year, I was afraid that I would become obese to a point that I had to stay in the hospital.

For your information, I am studying Information Systems / Computer Science at HKU. I want to be a software/app developer in the future and I have published two apps on Google Play.
    Don't you get weekends off? Why can't you do your hobbies then?

You seem to be sleeping a lot, are you sure you don't have an underlying health problem?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You seem to be sleeping a lot, are you sure you don't have an underlying health problem?
    Should I do a health check then?

I decided this thread was a pretty good trolling effort after the post about 10-12 hours of sleep per day.

I've never known any HKer who claims to operate on, or need that much sleep.

Mixed with a local having to ask a bunch of expats where to live, a string of properties in the new territories and China, this whole thread just doesn't add up.

Full marks to the op for a good effort.

Elegiaque and imparanoic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I decided this thread was a pretty good trolling effort after the post about 10-12 hours of sleep per day.

Mixed with a local having to ask a bunch of expats where to live, a string of properties in the new territories and China, this whole thread just doesn't add up.

Full marks to the op for a good effort.
    I sleep more than pretty much anyone I know and I don't get 10-12hours. I think you are spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:

Last Sat night I ran out of control of time and resulted in only 8 hours of sleep. As a result, I felt sleepy in a meeting in afternoon after an orienteering competition in the morning, clearly a sign of sleep deprivation. Today I slept for 13 hours before I could wake up without an alarm clock!
    Last edited by Michael Tsang; 16-11-2015 at 01:21 PM. Reason: correct typo

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tsang:
    Last Sat night I ran out of control of time and resulted in only 8 hours of sleep. As a result, I felt sleepy in a meeting in afternoon after an orienteering competition in the morning, clearly a sign of sleep deprivation. Today I slept for 13 hours because I could wake up without an alarm clock!
    On the off-chance that you are real and not a spoof, please go to your doctor. 9 hours is plenty - more than most other people get. You should not need more so you do probably have a medical issue.