Like Tree111Likes

Landlord refusing to return deposit, despite written agreement

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

3b, An order for the payment of any other money which is due.

If you want and I really hope you will do this cause it seems you kept your side of the contract and its an act of being dishonest not returning a deposit,

You can go to contact the Lands Tribunal and see what they say. I recommend sending a registered letter.

Address:
    Rom 206-208
    2nd Floor
    38 Gascoigne Rd, Yau Ma Tei

Phone:2771 3034

But I forewarn you it might not be straight forward from my experience,

If you can go this way then you can make witness reports to say everything was okay and challenge the landlord.

MandM! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    The early warning sign is that you as the tenant are paying your last two months rent at the end of your contract. Its like going to a McDonald's and giving the cashier a $100 tip. Everyone is like wtf is this gweilo doing. Then everyone lined up next to you to collect the $100 too.
    When I used to rent, I HAVE ALWAYS paid the last 2 months rent and I have always got back all my deposit.
    As a Landlord I always expect my tenant to pay the last 2 months and I always give back the deposit.

Don't spread false rumor and make it sound as if everyone in HK does not pay the last 2 months. the overwhelming majority do - if I go by the tenant I have had and all the people I know who rent.

And yes some are locals and some are gweilos.
    gigglinggal and MandM! like this.

To the other question...
    If you don't pay when you come to leave then the landlord has to evict you by going to the land tribunal which take a few weeks and a lot longer to actually get you out by that time you are most likely gone.

You are breaking the contract though. Ask a local and figure it out.

The landlord is also not allowed to harass you in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    When I used to rent, I HAVE ALWAYS paid the last 2 months rent and I have always got back all my deposit.
    As a Landlord I always expect my tenant to pay the last 2 months and I always give back the deposit.

Don't spread false rumor and make it sound as if everyone in HK does not pay the last 2 months. the overwhelming majority do - if I go by the tenant I have had and all the people I know who rent.

No where did I say everyone doesn't pay the last two months. I think it is becoming a more widely used option but I don't think it is widespread. It is about mitigating risk. Good that you never had trouble, but there are many on here who had difficulty with their landlords.

If you are that trustworthy, would be nice to go into business with you. Please post your contact details herein
    arathi likes this.

i stopped renting now - but I *never* ever paid the last 2 months.. put the onus on to the anus....

Quote Originally Posted by Amypitpit:
    3b, An order for the payment of any other money which is due.

If you want and I really hope you will do this cause it seems you kept your side of the contract and its an act of being dishonest not returning a deposit,

You can go to contact the Lands Tribunal and see what they say. I recommend sending a registered letter.

Address:
    Rom 206-208
    2nd Floor
    38 Gascoigne Rd, Yau Ma Tei

Phone:2771 3034

But I forewarn you it might not be straight forward from my experience,

If you can go this way then you can make witness reports to say everything was okay and challenge the landlord.
    How much will it cost to take all those days off work to get your money back, and the countless hours of preparation?

Quote Originally Posted by scrambler:
    i stopped renting now - but I *never* ever paid the last 2 months.. put the onus on to the anus....
    Exactly, if the tenant or @Mat wants to pay the last two months and doesn't get it back, I really don't have much sympathy for them. They know the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:

Sorry but its happened to me and Duncory..Other comments from users of this forum indicate it happens rather too frequently.

I really don't want to go into the details of my case but it was and still is a continuing nightmare.

PS After watching 6 series of the Walking Dead I prefer the use of foreigners to gweilos.

Join DateNov 2015Posts1
    MandM! likes this.

From my experience I lived in a country house owned by one guy and he never once paid back any deposits to all the tenants. He was notorious for it.

I let it go cause he wasn't normal and I didn't want trouble cause I moved just a few doors away, He actually after called the police three times saying I stole his property.

Just recently I rented a commercial premise and got flooded out. I found the places had illegal structures concealed under the floor and the landlord refused to fix saying it was my problem. As it was structural I couldn't fix if I wanted to. A total nut case...After sending many registered letter I found a clause in the contract and moved out at great loss.

So I love landlords

Last edited by Amypitpit; 17-11-2015 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amypitpit:
    From my experience I lived in a country house owned by one guy and he never once paid back any deposits to all the tenants. He was notorious for it.

I let it go cause he wasn't normal and I didn't want trouble cause I moved just a few doors away, He actually after called the police three times saying I stole his property.

Just recently I rented a commercial premise and got flooded out. I found the places had illegal structures concealed under the floor and the landlord refused to fix saying it was my problem. As it was structural I couldn't fix if I wanted to. A total nut case...After sending many registered letter I found a clause in the contract and moved out at great loss.

So I love landlords
    Yeah ok but both are somewhat special cases...one is u you have a weird landlord (and apparently he is notorious for it..) and commerical property (not the case being debated here)...soooo for normal properties with somewhat normal landlords...abiding to the law..is the way fwd except sometimes of course when shit can happen..

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast