Foreigner marrying a Mainland citizen

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Foreigner marrying a Mainland citizen

Has anyone here gone through the process of marrying someone from Mainland China?

I was just curious on how the process was like? Any information and tips would be great. I have been to the government website at The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department but it is a bit unclear about marrying citizens from the PRC. I had heard that the regulations are a bit more strict, but was not sure by how. Any clarification would be great. Thank you!

a British friend of mine has married one & all he had to say is that it was full of headache because of all the bureaucracies.....

Can you clarify? Is it the marriage that is hard (wow - that's tough) or getting the visa for the new wife afterwards? (I had heard that this was different to every other dependent visa and you have to wait years or something terrible).

Assuming you are marrying a mainland Chinese wife, then you would need a one way permit to bring her down to HK to settle.

I believe something like 150 people a day are given one way permits to move to HK.

The one way permit is the killer, she will need to wait in line for her turn fto be approved, this i heard can take years. There are quite a lot of local men that have married women from the PRC but still waiting for the one way permit to be approved.

If you do plan to marry a wife from the PRC, i would suggest that you take her back to your country and get her a passport from their which would make it easier to get her a dependant visa in HK.

I know that it is hard for Permanent Residents to bring in a Mainland wife, but the Guidebook for Dependant Visa says:

2. This entry arrangement does not apply to:

1. Chinese residents of the Mainland {except for those whose sponsors have been admitted to take up employment (as professionals, for investment to establish/join in business, or for training) or studies (in full-time undergraduate or post-graduate programmes in local degree-awarding institutions), or whose sponsors have been admitted as entrants under the Capital Investment Entrant Scheme or the Quality Migrant Admission Scheme};
    which suggests to me that if you are in HK on an Employment, Investment, Study, CIES or QMAS Visa then you CAN apply for your mainland wife to be admitted on a normal Dependant Visa. The only additional requirement (again from the ImmD Guidebook) seems to be:
    11. Successful applicant who is a Chinese resident of the Mainland should apply for an Exit-entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao (EEP) and a relevant exit endorsement from the Public Security Bureau office where his/her household registration is kept. The entry permit label should be affixed onto a blank endorsement page of the applicant's EEP on which his/her relevant exit endorsement has been obtained. The applicant should present the EEP for immigration examination upon arrival in the HKSAR.
    So in summary I think that foreigners here on Visas can bring Mainland wives into HK much more easily than Permanent Residents can.

Having said all that, a quick review of BryanL's posts suggest that he has (or was trying to get) ROA in HK, in which case you could, by doing so, have made the process of getting a mainland wife into HK very much harder.

The simple answer of course, is to email [email protected] and ask them.
    Last edited by PDLM; 09-03-2009 at 11:47 AM.

Oh sorry, let me clarify it a bit more. I meant just the marriage process, not the dependent visa. I read about the documents I need for marriage in China, such as my passport, certificate of marriageability, and others.

I was just curious if the process can be done with more ease in HK for the both of us.

Thanks

I see no particular restrictions in the marriage regulations about mainland citizens so assuming she is able to visit Hong Kong then I would say that getting married here must be easier than doing so in the mainland.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I see no particular restrictions in the marriage regulations about mainland citizens so assuming she is able to visit Hong Kong then I would say that getting married here must be easier than doing so in the mainland.
    Ok thank you

In regards to your earlier post about me applying for my ROA and that would make it much harder, why would that be? I had applied and was able to get my RTL. I would not even be able to support her financially so a Dependant visa is very far in the future as I am only a student

Because the Dependant Visa rules quoted don't apply to your wife if you hold RTL. In that case I think the "one way permit" that people discussed above is necessary.

None of my business I know, but I'm curious what the point is of marrying someone who you aren't going to live with?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast