Like Tree19Likes

indigenous Hong Kong People (原居民) rights of land ownership

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

According to Centralline's definition this means any Chinese born in HK is am indigenous and thus has land rights in HK
    My understanding is that you need to be able to prove that your family was established in the NT prior to the 1899 handover (okay, it could be 1898, but the British didn't officially annex the NT until April 1899).
    Morrison likes this.

Start with your village head they should be able to give you the relevant info. It's my understanding that if you have the right to build or 丁權 you just need land, if you have land in your family anyway you then need to apply for the building permit, this usually takes two years upwards if straightforward. Land & 丁權 can bought if you find a willing seller, it's a question of knowing who wants to sell and agreeing a price.

Definition of "indigenous villager"

Thanks for the clarification on the term - I actually thought that the year cutoff was earlier (circa 1846) however there is an official classification somewhere. Many people don't realise that HK has been populated over the past 150 odd years by mainly migrants from other parts of China and that there is only a small population of "way toh" people (literally village head) who can trace their ancestral roots to before the British arrived. Check out the HK history museum which I would thoroughly recommend.

Anyway, the best way to resolve the whole land right issue is to sell it for a few bob to a property developer - assuming that there any takers!

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    you can't request for land as this can only be distributed to you via your village head chief from the govt assuming there land avaliable , could take many years, even next decade, 丁權/right to build a rural house - you have this status already as your parents registered your name with the village chief when you was born.

takes up to 2 years for application of building a rural house assuming you have land to buld on in the first place.
    Thanks for the reply.

Ok, I see, I need to speak to the village head then, but I probably need a translator and the place is big enough so there should be still land left and I have my name in the ancestral books ...

Any chance developers will buy this "right to land and the right to build" just like that? I'm really want to sell so I can get some cash now, waiting for 2 or more years will make me an old guy so what's the point and I want to enjoy the fruits now.

mmm I read on another thread somewhere in geoxpat that they sold their "right to land" for 25K pounds 10 years ago. It must be worth a heck of a lot now.

i hope this law - which was implemented as a temporary measure - gets repealed as soon as possible. it's ridiculous, discriminatory and even impossible to fulfill if everyone got land that has the right. utter useless piece of legislation

Quote Originally Posted by peblo:
    mmm I read on another thread somewhere in geoxpat that they sold their "right to land" for 25K pounds 10 years ago. It must be worth a heck of a lot now.
    yes, you can sell your 'ancestral rights to build/丁權', the value is determined by area, ie, sha tau kok/shek kong will be worth alot less than ma wan, etc.

Does any of you know how much Mai Po land right cost? like an estimate?
    and does anyone know where or how to sell?
    please help?!!?
    I don't know where to ask expect from this site...I mean I cant read Chinese!!!!

I dunno whether you gotten the answer you need but apparently you need your name in the village book thing which you said you had but I think you also need 3 stars on your identity card thing in order to have a land right

Picking up on this old issue, can anyone give me any pointers as to how one even begins to investigate if they have any indigenous rights?

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Picking up on this old issue, can anyone give me any pointers as to how one even begins to investigate if they have any indigenous rights?
    Ask your village chief (assuming still exist), if not the last representative of your village, check you have ROA status with 3 stars (some village chief won't accept rtl or no stars)

Then once you confirmation, you able to find out about possible right to build /丁權