Like Tree111Likes

Landlord refusing to return deposit, despite written agreement

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ehiogu:
    For those who didn't pay the last two months, how does it work in practice? Surely the landlord chases you.

Do you tell the landlord at some point that you're not paying him? If so, at which point? Or do you literally not pay for 2 months, pack your bags and the leave?
    You just be nice about it and tell the landlord. More of a this is what is happening. Thank you for letting me live here. Welcome to show the place the last two weeks or some crap like that. Its give and take.
    Ehiogu likes this.

Thanks. Well, that sounds a lot better than what I had envisaged.

Going to add another mainland China landlord - Queen's Terrace in Sheung Wan: greedy and dishonest.

First year of the lease gone and she start complaining about the rent - we offer to leave (two months notice, flat inspection and all) but she repeatedly sent the agent to ask not to; we stayed and big mistake was that, we are still here and keep paying for pipes and airco and toilet - she wouldn't want to pay for anything (nice flat, bad maintenance).
    Now is the gas stove - the glass top exploded with a loud noise (lucky we were not in the kitchen) and the Town gas came in and turn off the gas valve - burners too old, all too dangerouse to use but the landlady wouldn't hear any of it.

She is now threatening that - if we do not fix it and pay for it, she will deduct the costs for the stove from our
    deposit at the end of the lease. And the end of the lease is not early then two months and a week.

Meaning not only that we will have no possibilities of cooking for the next 9 weeks - but that we will also have to pay for the stove (as old as the building, Towngas gay says he is replacing even two per day lately)

On a side remark - why can not make a "bad landlords of Hong Kong" list here?

jmbf,
    sure it cannot be that easy...?

We should probably try the same, but don't think the landlady will ever agree,
    she is already planing the deduction!

Last edited by arathi; 25-11-2015 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arathi:
    Going to add another mainland China landlord - Queen's Terrace in Sheung Wan: greedy and dishonest.

First year of the lease gone and she start complaining about the rent - we offer to leave (two months notice, flat inspection and all) but she repeatedly sent the agent to ask not to; we stayed and big mistake was that, we are still here and keep paying for pipes and airco and toilet - she wouldn't want to pay for anything (nice flat, bad maintenance).
    Now is the gas stove - the glass top exploded with a loud noise (lucky we were not in the kitchen) and the Town gas came in and turn off the gas valve - burners too old, all too dangerouse to use but the landlady wouldn't hear any of it.

She is now threatening that - if we do not fix it and pay for it, she will deduct the costs for the stove from our
    deposit at the end of the lease. And the end of the lease is not early then two months and a week.

Meaning not only that we will have no possibilities of cooking for the next 9 weeks - but that we will also have to pay for the stove (as old as the building, Towngas gay says he is replacing even two per day lately)

On a side remark - why can not make a "bad landlords of Hong Kong" list here?
    Give your notice, don't pay the last two months and find a new place.

Did you pay for any repairs initially? The pipes or air con? Maybe she got excited when she found out she can get you to repair everything.
    arathi likes this.

In some contracts there should be a clause saying you are entitled to quiet possession and enjoyment of the premise. If your gas cooker is exploding then you ain't getting it. Apart from being dangerous!

Get a report from the gas company and send it to her using registered post and don't use the standard one but the one that has a pinkish slip and has to be signed for.

MandM! and arathi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by arathi:
    jmbf,
    sure it cannot be that easy...?

We should probably try the same, but don't think the landlady will ever agree,
    she is already planing the deduction!
    How old is the building? I would not be paying for ANYTHING that falls under normal wear and tear usage. Unless the flat is brand new and / or you have been doing something truly stupid to damage it, the responsibility for maintaining appliances is the landlord's.

Without the full story it's hard to give more detailed advice but from the information given it does sound like your landlord is an ass. If I were you I would find a new place and issue notice to the landlord ASAP. I would NOT pay the remaining months rent and I would NOT pay for any new appliances etc etc.
    Last edited by jmbf; 25-11-2015 at 11:22 PM.
    arathi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    Give your notice, don't pay the last two months and find a new place.

Did you pay for any repairs initially? The pipes or air con? Maybe she got excited when she found out she can get you to repair everything.
    Already looking around for a new lease, thanks; and yes, we "chipped" in for the air con and cover half of the huge pipes deal she made it with a con plumber - talking about several thousands, aside for other small repairs in our responsibilities.
    We probably pay a slightly under the market rent right now
    but I'm tired to feel guilty for that
    Last edited by arathi; 26-11-2015 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    How old is the building? I would not be paying for ANYTHING that falls under normal wear and tear usage. Unless the flat is brand new and / or you have been doing something truly stupid to damage it, the responsibility for maintaining appliances is the landlord's.

Without the full story it's hard to give more detailed advice but from the information given it does sound like your landlord is an ass. If I were you I would find a new place and issue notice to the landlord ASAP. I would NOT pay the remaining months rent and I would NOT pay for any new appliances etc etc.
    The bldg is 13 years old and the flat is furnished. We always "travel" light and apart from an Ikea bookshelf we did no alteration whatsoever; we keep the flat clean and according with the real-estate agent, it looks better now then before we in.

My husband saw the comments and he's decided to do not pay the last two months but to do not hold to the lease contract and confront landlady about this - that makes me significantly uncomfortable

Quote Originally Posted by Amypitpit:
    In some contracts there should be a clause saying you are entitled to quiet possession and enjoyment of the premise. If your gas cooker is exploding then you ain't getting it. Apart from being dangerous!

Get a report from the gas company and send it to her using registered post and don't use the standard one but the one that has a pinkish slip and has to be signed for.

Thanks a lot Amypitpit, I'll have to check again but it might be something similar with that clause in our lease.

The Towngas will send us the full report these days but the thing is - and I know this is laughably foolish - we don't have a post address for the landlady!

We do have a phone number and an e-mail address (and HK id number) but she speak no English and we speak no Mandarin so for any communication, we always relay on her real-estate agent.
    That is, during the lease; what will be if we will have to communicate with her after the end of the lease (e.g. deposit refund) - is just another thing to worry about.
    Last edited by arathi; 26-11-2015 at 11:43 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast