Home Theatre/LCD/PS3 set-up

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home Theatre/LCD/PS3 set-up

Hi

Looking for some advise pls. Want to buy a home theatre system to use with a PS3 and Samsung LCD.

Want to:

1 - Play PS3 games and Blu-Ray DVD with surround sound (5:1)
    2 - Watch TV/Cable also using the speakers (prob only be 2:1 right? But still be better than TV speakers alone)

Understand the newer high end systems have HDMI in and out which could do this but dont want to spend too much cash. How much quality will I sacrifice by connecting audio from PS3 to home theatre via optical instead of HDMI? Can anyone suggest a good system that meets my needs? Also some pointers on how to set this up would be appreciated - was thinking:

PS3 via HDMI direct to TV
    PS3 (audio) via optical to Home theatre
    Home theatre via optical to TV?

thx

Quote Originally Posted by babell:
    Hi

Looking for some advise pls. Want to buy a home theatre system to use with a PS3 and Samsung LCD.

Want to:

1 - Play PS3 games and Blu-Ray DVD with surround sound (5:1)
    2 - Watch TV/Cable also using the speakers (prob only be 2:1 right? But still be better than TV speakers alone)

Understand the newer high end systems have HDMI in and out which could do this but dont want to spend too much cash. How much quality will I sacrifice by connecting audio from PS3 to home theatre via optical instead of HDMI? Can anyone suggest a good system that meets my needs? Also some pointers on how to set this up would be appreciated - was thinking:

PS3 via HDMI direct to TV
    PS3 (audio) via optical to Home theatre
    Home theatre via optical to TV?

thx
    What you are planning broadly makes sense and should work (although I am not sure what you mean by "Home theatre via optical to TV").

Basically in a home theater et-up where the AV receiver/HTIB does not have HDMI input/switching one can connect the various sources directly to the TV set for video - for the PS3 via HDMI (but used for video only - mute or switch off the TV speakers) and for the TV source via HDMI/component/S-video (whatever is applicable). The sources (PS3, TV, etc.) are then connected to the AVR/HTIB for sound via digital (coax or optical) or line connection - the former generally being preferable.

Comments:
    • There will probably be no difference in audio quality between an HDMI connection and another digital connection to the AVR/HTIB (it gets a little complicated depending on where the 5.1 decoding, DA conversion, etc. happen, but for the level of this system it should be pretty much irrelevant).
    • Changing sources will require switching at both the AVR/HTIB (for the audio) and the TV set (for video) - can be addressed with a universal/learning remote with macro function.
    • Even TV viewing and other stereo sources like old DVDs will typically have sound from all the 5.1 channels - depending on your AVR/HTIB as multi-channel stereo or processed into some sort of surround sound.

On a final note, even a lot of mid-range/reasonably priced AVR/HTIBs these days have HDMI inputs/switching. So if you have not bought one yet, I think that would still be the preferred solution and not too expensive. However, if you already have a non-HDMI AVR/HDMI or really do not want to spend the money on one then the above solution is perfectly workable.

Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    What you are planning broadly makes sense and should work (although I am not sure what you mean by "Home theatre via optical to TV").

Basically in a home theater et-up where the AV receiver/HTIB does not have HDMI input/switching one can connect the various sources directly to the TV set for video - for the PS3 via HDMI (but used for video only - mute or switch off the TV speakers) and for the TV source via HDMI/component/S-video (whatever is applicable). The sources (PS3, TV, etc.) are then connected to the AVR/HTIB for sound via digital (coax or optical) or line connection - the former generally being preferable.

Comments:
    • There will probably be no difference in audio quality between an HDMI connection and another digital connection to the AVR/HTIB (it gets a little complicated depending on where the 5.1 decoding, DA conversion, etc. happen, but for the level of this system it should be pretty much irrelevant).
    • Changing sources will require switching at both the AVR/HTIB (for the audio) and the TV set (for video) - can be addressed with a universal/learning remote with macro function.
    • Even TV viewing and other stereo sources like old DVDs will typically have sound from all the 5.1 channels - depending on your AVR/HTIB as multi-channel stereo or processed into some sort of surround sound.

On a final note, even a lot of mid-range/reasonably priced AVR/HTIBs these days have HDMI inputs/switching. So if you have not bought one yet, I think that would still be the preferred solution and not too expensive. However, if you already have a non-HDMI AVR/HDMI or really do not want to spend the money on one then the above solution is perfectly workable.
    Thanks alot beachball - much appreciated. Havent bought the HTIB yet but been looking at a few in Fortress etc and the above will def help

Cheers

av amplifiers/receivers (AVR) are always far superior in sound quality as well as input /output options, (eg, htib usually only have one or two aux options, while avr have 5/6/7/8 inputs), unless you live in a shoe box and you prefer sound quality in depth/scale and claity then you should be aiming for full size speakers and avr.

this principal is the same as getting proper hifi seperates compared to mini/micro hifi

if you on a tight budget, search ( as well as test) second hand home cinema system, though you may not have hdmi switching ( most tvs have 2 or 3 hdmi anyway), but you do get a lot of sound for your money as you will use the avr purely for audio.

ps. fortress/boardway have a crap to very limited range of decent home cinema equipment, thus you should go to a proper hifi/home cinema shop

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    av amplifiers/receivers (AVR) are always far superior in sound quality as well as input /output options, (eg, htib usually only have one or two aux options, while avr have 5/6/7/8 inputs), unless you live in a shoe box and you prefer sound quality in depth/scale and claity then you should be aiming for full size speakers and avr.

this principal is the same as getting proper hifi seperates compared to mini/micro hifi

if you on a tight budget, search ( as well as test) second hand home cinema system, though you may not have hdmi switching ( most tvs have 2 or 3 hdmi anyway), but you do get a lot of sound for your money as you will use the avr purely for audio.

ps. fortress/boardway have a crap to very limited range of decent home cinema equipment, thus you should go to a proper hifi/home cinema shop
    Yup, mostly agree with that. I would not consider anything else but a decent AVR and a good set of speakers.
    That said, for many users with budget (and space!) constraints and with limited connectivity needs (note that the OP is only looking at having two sources) a quality HTIB makes perfect sense - just as a micro/mini stereo system (I wouldn't call them HiFi ) can be the right choice for small room, attic, etc. Some of the mid/upper-range HTIB sound surprisingly good these days.

yeah, your right, a mini /micro system is fine for a bathroom ( as long it's not too close to any water supply) or a kitchen where the priority is not sound quality, if you have no choice and your bedroom is a shoe box, then this will suffice.

Thanks guys for your advice

This is for my lounge so have a bit of room to play with (still HK sizes tho) so will def look into some AVR's + speakers since gets both ure votes hands down.

Know of any good shops on the island/TST that I should check out?
    Could you recommend any system/speaker combos I should look at?
    Cheers

hk island is pretty expensive for av stuff, eg, itheater in central have a good range, but it's expensive

Best prices are:- mong kok is the best place

yau shing building. exit e3 mong kok mtr, outside the tunnel, which will be nelson st, on the corner you'll see body shop, before you reach body shop, enter the that same buliding entrance, you will see a sign with korean food display, and a lift adjacent to there, it's a pretty scrappy looking place, ( of the top of my memory) fl 6, 8, 11, 13 and 16 is full of (proper) hi fi, home cinema and tv

a good place where i go ( as well a lot of hk local and techie savvy people), if you're not familar bring a friend who is

alternatively, consider china club av ltd on fa yeun st (sneaker/trainer st), cheaper as well as honest, prices so much better than broadway, fortress, eg, i have saved hundreds of dollars on official pioneer dvd recorders and teac set top box.

[url=http://ccav.silver.yp.com.hk/index_main.php?charset=big5]\

also check prices (if you know what brand, or model number

www.price.com.hk ( sadly in chinese only, just enter the brand or model number in the search)

What is your approximate budget?

good question

can be from HK$2500 to HK$250,000

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast