Like Tree24Likes

Elsie Tu passes away

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Elsie Tu passes away

From RTHK:

People from different walks of life paid tributes to former legislator and social activist Elsie Tu, who died on Tuesday.

The Chief Executive CY Leung expressed his condolences and praised Tu for making “tremendous contributions in taking forward reforms and redevelopments” of the society". He expressed his profound sadness at the her passing.

"After her retirement, Dr Tu continued to devote herself to care for the grass roots. She made generous financial contributions to education, was dedicated to community service and fought for the rights of the underprivileged with perseverance,” Leung said in a statement.

The Secretary for Education, Eddie Ng, also mourned Tu’s death and recalled her contributions to the education field.

A longtime friend of Tu, Judith Mackay, said her health “slowly deteriorated” in the past year and it went “downhill” in the last two months.

Mackay said Tu will be remembered for her fight against corruption and her dedication to poor people, particularly those who she felt would be ignored or unfairly treated by government.

Mu Kuang English School, set up by Tu and her late husband Andrew in 1954, said it was saddened by her death and called her the “real spirit of Hong Kong”. The school will be arranging her funeral.

The chairwoman of the Democratic Party, Emily Lau, hailed Tu as a highly respected politician, who should serve as a role-model for officials and pro-government legislators alike.

Last updated: 2015-12-08 HKT 13:43

I quite liked her back in the 1980s, but either she changed or I did as later I did not agree with her stance on Hong Kong.

Now I remember, it was her anti-democracy stance. But she still fought hard for Hong Kong, albeit on the wrong side of the fence, IMO.

I was lucky to meet her a few times. Like you I also disagreed with her change of stance in the run-up to '97 but she always stood up for the less privileged. She had a great impact on Hong Kong and will be remembered fondly.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    I was lucky to meet her a few times. Like you I also disagreed with her change of stance in the run-up to '97 but she always stood up for the less privileged. She had a great impact on Hong Kong and will be remembered fondly.
    Agree. Sad to see such principles are disappearing and being replaced with shoeshining and celebrity politicians.

After handover she supported the HK Government and was always praising the central government. Did nothing for the common man after 1997

It's certainly the end of an era.

Like many, I have huge respect for her work up through the 1980s, and hope that is how she will be remembered.

shri and Fiona in HKG like this.

I am confused here, the info I get online(wikipedia) on this person seems to be that she was very much anti colonialism and corruption, but turned to pro-CCP, pro-article 23 slightly before the handover. What happened here? Seems to be a strange change of heart.

Last edited by henkka; 09-12-2015 at 03:02 PM.

Must read on Tu's horrible post-handover stance:
    Elsie Tu, 1913-2015 | Big Lychee, Various Sectors

The link to some of her personal reflections is also telling:
    http://libproject.hkbu.edu.hk/trsima.../xep06_003.pdf

...that last sentence!

shri and Claire ex-ax like this.

@Gatts - Excellent post as usual from Hemlock!

I was drooling at the deli counter in Oliver’s – then as now in Central’s Prince’s Building. It was pretty much the only store selling fancy imported foods at the time, and I was counting my pennies to see if I could afford a few crumbs of Norwegian Jarlsberg, or some exquisite Spanish olives.
    Dammit .. I keep seeing a certain GeoExpater all around the interwebs!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast