Like Tree23Likes

#CoffeeFail! Why can't I make a decent cup of coffee at home?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    Avoid, IMO, packaged crap like Nesprsso, etc. They don't make great coffee, contribute to massive plastic waste and cost, the machines cost lots and break down, and in the end you will be dependent on a machine to start your day/heart. Enjoy!!
    Wasn't the Nespresso concept of using capsules developed by a HK company and picked up by the big brands. I could be wrong on this but I recall a chat to this effect many many years ago with the boss of one of the world's leading ODM appliance companies.

Anyway, yes awful coffee with wasteful packaging.

Coffeemaids are getting better

Quote Originally Posted by Howard LeGato:
    3. Put the fresh grinds in the Bodum (French Press). Add boiled water. Let sit for four minutes. Press the plunger down.
    Don't use boiling water. Best temp is 93ºC, so let it rest for 2-3 Minutes after boiling.

Make sure the water has no taste itself. The water in HK can have sometimes a very strange taste, specially after heavy rain. Use bottle water.

I use milk too, and not that strange tasting yellowish can stuff.

But then again, 'good' is a relative term and what's good for me might not be good for others.

Probably quite late in the discussion but this is my take. Assuming you are doing the same like what u did in Canada ie using the same grinder or grind to the same ground size with the same coffee (u mentioned using coffee from Canada as one of them), the major issue that we should try to rule out is whether it is the water.

I suggest using these "reliable" water bottles as a test ie brew with one of these waters: Volvic (quite sweet), Crystal Geysers (a more neutral cup) and Bonaqua (sweeter cup but not as much as Volvic). Try to avoid distilled water as most coffee people said good cup of coffee will need some mineral in it. Beside, u r happy with just tap water in Canada and that sort of proves the point to your liking.

Keeping all of your steps like what u did, if it is better then it is the water issue. If this is the case, figuring out filtration system is your next move. If not, we then need to dive into other issues.

If u want more guide on brewing, I suggest Nick Cho's article here which should help improve your game on french press.

Coffee Science: How to Make the Best French Press Coffee at Home | Serious Eats

shri, eastside_gweilo and wayland like this.

Londrino

As "flameproof" mentioned, you should never use boiling water to make coffee.

You're probably burning your coffee. Does it taste extremely bitter?

You could use a small pan to heat your water. That way you'll have better control over the temperature. When the little bubbles start to emerge from the bottom of the pan, it's time to turn the fire off.

Do not boil your water, chose fresh arabica beans (buy online... HK has NO quality coffee beans) and throw away the sugar and the cream. You're all set.

Boil only the water, never the made coffee: agree.

No good beans in all HK? What an arsewipe statement.

And I suppose, for you, the only drinkable wine comes from Margaret River.

Rob2020 likes this.

An update: #CofeeFail Do Not Resuscitate

Once again, thank you all for your suggestions. I have tried a few different combinations (distilled water, mineral water (Bonaqua), hot water instead of boiling water, coarser grinds than what I was using before, different milks) and at the end of the day, I was able to enjoy an improved but still bad cup of coffee. I still couldn't make a decent cup of coffee. Sigh.

And then this morning, when I went to grab my french press, I must have hit it somehow and the glass shattered. Maybe it was my consumer driven sub-conscience that wants a new Nespresso machine that "accidently" broke it. I don't know but now, sipping a McDonalds coffee (please don't judge me), I am trying to figure out the next best way to have my morning coffees. Right now, it is between getting a Nespresso machine and the moka pot. I am probably not going to try the French Press anytime soon. I am leaning towards the moka pot but still not sure if a small (2-4 cup) moka pot can sit sturdily on my large stove top burners.

Try get one of these if you consider buying a moka pot. :-)

Robot Check

wayland likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard LeGato:
    Once again, thank you all for your suggestions. I have tried a few different combinations (distilled water, mineral water (Bonaqua), hot water instead of boiling water, coarser grinds than what I was using before, different milks) and at the end of the day, I was able to enjoy an improved but still bad cup of coffee. I still couldn't make a decent cup of coffee. Sigh.
    Just wondering where in Hong Kong do u consider serving a good cup of coffee. Or even back in Canada.
    Last edited by boblam07; 29-01-2016 at 09:57 AM.

The engineer in me says - get someone to bring back all the ingredients of your Canadian cup to HK. Water (if at all possible), beans etc ... and see if you can replicate the awesomeness from back home.

Replace the canadian process and ingredients one by one and you may find the missing ingredient.

boblam07 and huja like this.

So, I should state that I don't think I have a very refined or mature taste in coffee…I think I am very average that way. And that's why I liked the French Press so much because, back home, it was a very "forgiving" way to make a decent cup of coffee. I didn't really pay a lot of attention to the type of grind I used, sometimes I would stir it, sometimes I wouldn't, I would always put in boiling water and the coffee usually turned our pretty good. The only item I was picky about was the strength as I didn't like a weak coffee. Apart from that, the French Press has always been an easy, foolproof way to make a cup of coffee.

As far as coffee here Boblam07, I have only had cappuccino/lattes here at the usual suspects - Pacific Coffee (@the peak), Starbucks and McDonalds. In all situtions, the coffee is decent; sometimes good, sometimes pretty bad. There is a CoffTea café here in Kennedy Town that I have tried a few time and their coffees have always been good.

I should also mention that I went to the Nespresso shop yesterday to check out their machines. They offered me a cup of coffee. Cappuccino. I asked for the Arpeggio flavour as I have enjoyed that taste in the past. Verdict: it was a good cup of coffee, much better than what I was able to brew at home but it was not as good as what I remember having over the holidays back home. I think it was the milk they used instead of the cream/milk back home.