Like Tree161Likes

Giving "red packets" to rude security staff

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

This is one of if not the most important days and traditions in the Chinese calendar. People who choose not to follow it are not ignorant, they're just scrouges. Karma is a bitch, and she bites hard.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    but giving it to random people on the street can be considered insulting. The more so because for those of us over and above a certain age it is easily as construed as that you were too much of a loser to bag any kind of spouse - which may not be the case!
    Interesting to know and it does make sense. Any other way to hand it to them directly so they won't feel offended?

Quote Originally Posted by cjt:
    Interesting to know and it does make sense. Any other way to hand it to them directly so they won't feel offended?
    No one feels offended taking Lai See. If they are married, they will politely tell you they are married, and you just tell them it is for service not for their marital status.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    I feel the US is worse. We tip here once a year in the US service people expect tips daily. From the guy who makes your bagel at the sandwich shop, to tour group bus drivers. Its ridiculous!
    Is there anywhere besides the US and Canada where tipping is culturally mandatory? I can't seem to remember it being such a big deal anywhere else.

The only mild upside to mandatory tipping is that it gives you a great way to give the middle finger for poor service.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    This is one of if not the most important days and traditions in the Chinese calendar. People who choose not to follow it are not ignorant, they're just scrouges. Karma is a bitch, and she bites hard.
    Karma doesn't exist.

I don't expect Christmas cards or presents from Chinese people...I expect them not to try and obstruct it, but no need to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Just give to who ever the FOOK you want too, I even give to younger Married PPL just because I want too LOL
    That's the attitude. Give whoever you like, as much as you like. Don't give whoever you don't want to give, no need to call ash hole or anything.

It's blatantly about money. Every year the security in our building erect a big tree in the foyer made out of red packets...

Absolute face-ache security guards who've looked like doom all year suddenly manage crooked smiles.

Our building management has intervened these last years...any red packets must be put in a communal box and I agree with this system...(assuming it's shared equally)...

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Is there anywhere besides the US and Canada where tipping is culturally mandatory? I can't seem to remember it being such a big deal anywhere else.

The only mild upside to mandatory tipping is that it gives you a great way to give the middle finger for poor service.
    The tipping culture in the US and elsewhere has been covered ad nauseam on GeoExpat. Use the search buttom and you will find other threads related to that. This thread is about lai see
    Last edited by Open Casket; 01-02-2016 at 02:23 PM.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    Where can I meet this Karma, sounds like fun....

But Lai See is not a tip - it is a token of good luck and prosperity for the coming new year. Please do not denigrate the Lai See of our culture to the status of a gratuity.

Lai See should be given to family, friends, acquaintances and people who work for you (if any). To anyone else, it is discretionary.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast