Like Tree7Likes

Applying for a job with international schools...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Applying for a job with international schools...

Hi guys

I've spent the last month applying for jobs with International Schools in Hong Kong. I currently live in Ireland and am completing a 2 year Masters in Education (finished in May) which recently replaced our version of the PGCE.

Anywyas, long story short, I've come across Schrole and found a job listing there for Chinese International School in Hong Kong. They require all applicants to fill in a questionnaire before applying. I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips on what's best to say for the following questions:

• What specifically attracts you to our school?
    • How do you see your role as a member of a dual-language community
    • How have you impacted your current school / work place and wider community?
    • How do you empower students / co-workers to be fully engaged as learners?
    • What are your greatest strengths?

I have a good idea of how to answer most of these but any extra information to include would be really beneficial.

Thanks guys!

Of course, if their HR person or principal is reading this board, it might be better to use your own answers ...

Non a propos, do note that HK is considered a very desirable posting for teachers, so you will be up against very strong, and much more experienced competition for any international school post here. You might also want to be applying for jobs in countries which have international schools but are not considered such esirable postings: mainland China and Indonesia spring to mind if you're particularly focussed on Asia.

Look at some of the newer schools. Many of them have younger staff - all well qualified and with experience on their hands.

CIS is probably one of the toughest schools in HK to start with a fresh-ish degree - billionaire training ground and rock solid academics.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Look at some of the newer schools. Many of them have younger staff - all well qualified and with experience on their hands.

CIS is probably one of the toughest schools in HK to start with a fresh-ish degree - billionaire training ground and rock solid academics.
    Thanks for the advice. I have a number of years of experience (both at home and abroad) prior to taking up my current course of study.

When you mention newer schools, can you name any in particular to look out for?

You might want to start with, "I believe that pushy, aggressive parents are the key to any school's success. Their pushiness and aggressiveness is what makes me really feel like I'm following my life's calling."

to be fair, I only know one (1) kid who goes to CIS, and he's a good kid. But the school's rep precedes it...

There is a new school opening in Tai Po this summer. American School Hong Kong.

American School Hong Kong

shri likes this.

Some of the new schools (keep in mind they have different curriculum so you may or may not be qualified to teach there).

- Kellett (3 years old new campus primary and secondry in Kowloon Bay)
    - Nord Anglia
    - Harrow
    - American School as listed above
    - Montessori school (forget the name) which has expanded, but seems to have some problems / issues with campus sites
    - Harbour school

Fair few others. Many of these schools recruit at the big fairs and also use some international head hunters.

(I'm not really in the education business... just a parent.. so take other folks advice before you take mine...)

In HK schools all they want to know is that you will kowtow to everyone one rung on the ladder higher than you, that you do exactly as you are told, never ask tricky questions and basically be a box ticking yes man.

It helps if you don't value common sense too.

Home_Mom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by King Wally:
    In HK schools all they want to know is that you will kowtow to everyone one rung on the ladder higher than you, that you do exactly as you are told, never ask tricky questions and basically be a box ticking yes man.

It helps if you don't value common sense too.
    I assume you are talking about local schools? The schools my kids go to are far from that.
    shri and jrkob like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast