Like Tree31Likes

How can you survive in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Look around for people helping other people. Join them.

Kinch and chingleutsch like this.

Join a meetup group. creating a social network is the sanest, healthiest way to survive relocation and the dreaded 'adjustment stages' in a foreign country!

Mamba

HK is no different to any other place on the planet, same rough patch when you move anywhere. Done it so many times now. The following would be my advice.

• Don't feel like you have to do what everyone else is doing or how they're doing it.
    • Don't worry about what other people have, enjoy what you have.
    • Don't get caught up in the hype, just because it's true here doesn't make it true anywhere else.
    • Maintain a sense of humour.
    • See each area as a small village instead of a bit of a big city.
    • You get what you give.
    • Be prepared to put yourself out there and meet new people.
    • If you don't like the people you're meeting then be prepared to delete their phone numbers and start again. It's better to on your own then have bad company.
    • If you are on your own then get your backside out and about, no one is going to knock on your door and say please be my friend.
    • If at first you don't succeed have a cup of tea and try again.
    Kinch, Natfixit, z754103 and 1 others like this.

Thanks for all of your sincerely advices

Take frequent vacations. Lots of cheap, fun and convenient places to travel. Let's be honest, Hong Kong is over crowded and it can be annoyingly frustrating dealing with all the noise, pollution & crowds of rude people. I never go more than a couple months without leaving and I go back to my home country several times a year. View Hong Kong as an outpost & not your home and it'll help your sanity.

Rob2020 and Char Siu King like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Take frequent vacations. Lots of cheap, fun and convenient places to travel. Let's be honest, Hong Kong is over crowded and it can be annoyingly frustrating dealing with all the noise, pollution & crowds of rude people. I never go more than a couple months without leaving and I go back to my home country several times a year. View Hong Kong as an outpost & not your home and it'll help your sanity.
    You should move to sha Tau Kok, note there are more wild boars per square mile than humans,

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    You should move to sha Tau Kok, note there are more wild boars per square mile than humans,
    Plenty of wild bores in Wan Chai.
    chingleutsch likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Plenty of wild bores in Wan Chai.
    I presume you mean ladies of the night, while the local ones are around Jordan area

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    I've been there. Only problem is that you have to commute an hour to anywhere and everywhere. And what good are wild boars if you can't hunt them?

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    I've been there. Only problem is that you have to commute an hour to anywhere and everywhere. And what good are wild boars if you can't hunt them?
    Depends where you work, if you work in hk island yes, a very long commute

If not, not too bad, rental is cheap here, new village house 700 Sq ft at 7k per month, if you work mostly at home and own a car, greenery everywhere here, but Internet is a bit slow