Like Tree120Likes

Local vs International vs ESF schools

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    You are missing:
    DSS Schools
    PIS Schools
    You are referring to direct-subsidy schools? They are just another kind of local schools right? Non-government schools that are partially funded by the government. In terms of their curriculum, how much difference are there with the regular local schools?

Quote Originally Posted by Willow_321:
    You are referring to direct-subsidy schools? They are just another kind of local schools right? Non-government schools that are partially funded by the government. In terms of their curriculum, how much difference are there with the regular local schools?
    DSS schools are free to choose their own curriculum so you may see significant differences from 'normal' local schools who have to adhere to EDB guidelines. Some, for example, offer the International Baccalaureate Program.
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    DSS schools are free to choose their own curriculum so you may see significant differences from 'normal' local schools who have to adhere to EDB guidelines. Some, for example, offer the International Baccalaureate Program.

But how are DSS different from international schools then?

But how are DSS different from international schools then?
    DSS schools fall within a spectrum from local to international. Their student mixes can also vary widely. In general they are cheaper than international schools however the best ones are very competitive to get into.
    Willow_321 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    DSS schools fall within a spectrum from local to international. Their student mixes can also vary widely. In general they are cheaper than international schools however the best ones are very competitive to get into.
    And I'm guessing where you live will have a large impact on whether you can get a DSS spot for your kid.

And I'm guessing where you live will have a large impact on whether you can get a DSS spot for your kid.
    Your religion will too
    shri likes this.

As a private tutor who has taught students from top international schools as well as local schools (top and bottom!) I can give you some generalisations based on my experience.

Keep reading before you jump up and down screaming at my horribly judgemental views

International school students:

Pros - Likely to be more creative, better at English, have more time for fun

Cons - Often lazier, harder to motivate, more defiant

Local schools:

Pros - Multilingual, often with a stronger work ethic and more determined to achieve

Cons - Can struggle to think critically and can have pretty boring lives

BUT before I get hammered for these generalisations let me tell you that this is NOT always the case and in fact over time I have realised it isn't the school systems which create these pros and cons so much as the parents.

Local school students' PARENTS are often more pushy and demanding, with an exam focus and a lack of emphasis on fun. However, in cases where local students' parents have a more relaxed attitude, encourage reading fiction and having fun rather than constant exam prep, the kids are extremely creative and well balanced as well as multilingual and talented.

Contrastingly, when parents of International school students are pushy and demanding with an exam orientated focus, guess what, the creativity can get sucked out of these students too and they can become suppressed and unhappy. Sometimes it can be even worse because these parents' attempts to game the system with regurgitation and memorisation don't produce good results like they would in a local school.

So, don't just try and blame the schools for the kids they produce. The parents can and do have more effect on their kids than the schools.

Our daughter will go to a DSS primary school which is quite competitive and we know there will be more emphasis on exams than we would like, and more homework too, so our role as parents is pretty nice... Provide the fun in her life and release the pressure. It can sometimes be the other way round but either way there are flaws in most systems. For sure I think (know) that kids in either system can grow up to be great... Or to be annoying trolls.

Just look at geoexpat for examples...

Last edited by justjoe86; 28-03-2016 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Your religion will too
    Are you suggesting schools pick students based on their religious affiliation? I know many well-known schools in HK are runned by or affiliated with various religious organizations, but I never knew you actually have to follow their religion to attend those schools.

Are you suggesting schools pick students based on their religious affiliation?
    Schools employ a points based system to evaluate student candidates. For example, if a student's sibling is currently attending the school, they get additional points. If either of the student's parents is an 'old boy or girl', they get additional points. And yes if the students religious affiliation matches the school's then they get additional points.

I know parents that have attended church and had their children baptised just so that they can improve their chances of getting into certain schools.
    HowardCoombs likes this.

I don't have kids but I went to local HK schools.

Local schools- Easy English curriculum compared with ESF and International, less non-local teachers and students, VERY hard Chinese curriculum(it is not easy to get good grades even when the students speak Chinese as monther tongue, only the most talented students can excel), harder Maths and Sciences. Less open-minded local middle age teachers. Younger local teachers are more western-influenced in their teaching methods and relations with students.

And generally, local schools can be divided into EMI and CMI, with EMI schools(English as the medium of instruction) being much less in numbers, and attracting the families who are good in English to apply. English training for these kids start early and harder, as these educated parents want their kids to secure a place at the EMI schools.

International school students like to party more.
    Have all sorts of students. Intellectuals, musicans, sports kids, not motivated, very rich or middle class.

Local schools. All sorts of local schools. Famous and not famous schools. Very smart to average students. Well behaved to bad teens. Goodlooking, fashionable to nerdy.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    International school students:
    Pros - Likely to be more creative, better at English, have more time for fun
    Cons - Often lazier, harder to motivate, more defiant

Local schools:
    Pros - Multilingual, often with a stronger work ethic and more determined to achieve
    Cons - Can struggle to think critically and can have pretty boring lives

BUT before I get hammered for these generalisations let me tell you that this is NOT always the case and in fact over time I have realised it isn't the school systems which create these pros and cons so much as the parents.

Local school students' PARENTS are often more pushy and demanding, with an exam focus and a lack of emphasis on fun. However, in cases where local students' parents have a more relaxed attitude, encourage reading fiction and having fun rather than constant exam prep, the kids are extremely creative and well balanced as well as multilingual and talented.

Contrastingly, when parents of International school students are pushy and demanding with an exam orientated focus, guess what, the creativity can get sucked out of these students too and they can become suppressed and unhappy. Sometimes it can be even worse because these parents' attempts to game the system with regurgitation and memorisation don't produce good results like they would in a local school.

So, don't just try and blame the schools for the kids they produce. The parents can and do have more effect on their kids than the schools.

Our daughter will go to a DSS primary school which is quite competitive and we know there will be more emphasis on exams than we would like, and more homework too, so our role as parents is pretty nice... Provide the fun in her life and release the pressure. It can sometimes be the other way round but either way there are flaws in most systems. For sure I think (know) that kids in either system can grow up to be great... Or to be annoying trolls.

Just look at geoexpat for examples...
    Last edited by hgcsc; 30-03-2016 at 05:23 PM.
    Open Casket likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast