Like Tree13Likes

How to cancel Pure Membership

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

JBL,

Seems that u have been Donald Ducked! Welcome to Hong Kong.

On a serious not there is very little consumer protection in HK and what there is seems to be differentially applied. If you are not a legal resident then u have practically zero rights - interested to know how you entered into this contract without an HKID card?

Caveat Emptor is the order of the day.

As Shri pointed out earlier - put an advert on Geoexpat and see if someone is interested in taking it over. For sure you won't get the full amount but at least is better than giving it all away to the already fantastically monied owners of PURE.

Last edited by Soutie; 22-08-2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: addition
    JayBl likes this.

Just cancel the credit card and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Just cancel the credit card and leave.

aka, The Expat Goodbye.
    mrgoodkat likes this.

It's outrageous that HK allows this to be honest. Just out of curiosity I Googled and found that in the US most gyms have a clause that says the member can break a contract if they move 25 miles or more away from the facility, no matter how long they signed up for. Yet in HK they will with a straight face attempt to squeeze money out of you for a gym membership you can't use or internet service you can't access because you've relocated abroad. And it's almost impossible to get either gym or internet on a PAYG/month-to-month basis.

In short - cancel the card you pay with and don't look back. They're literally just robbing you otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    It's outrageous that HK allows this to be honest. Just out of curiosity I Googled and found that in the US most gyms have a clause that says the member can break a contract if they move 25 miles or more away from the facility, no matter how long they signed up for. Yet in HK they will with a straight face attempt to squeeze money out of you for a gym membership you can't use or internet service you can't access because you've relocated abroad. And it's almost impossible to get either gym or internet on a PAYG/month-to-month basis.

In short - cancel the card you pay with and don't look back. They're literally just robbing you otherwise.
    This is why I don't have a Pure membership. Not because I plan to move country but even a job change, your gym might not be convenient anymore to your workplace.

That's life. I decided not to join because I know I'm responsible for the entire term.

Original Post Deleted
    , would be interesting to know.

I think when you do installments, the credit card bank issues full payment to the merchant minus a fee. In this case, the payment has been completed and the bank takes on the risk.

One way to check is if your credit card balance has a hold on for the charge in question.

However in the case of autopay, this is a monthly charge for future charges, hence the relationship of the debt owed is between the credit card holder and merchant. The bank would not be liable. Example: mobile phone bill (exclude cost of mobile phone), octopus, car rental surcharges.

One thing that bothers me with credit cards is that agreements to be responsible for a debt, when signed in conjunction with a credit card, the merchant is allowed to charge future charges without authorization from the card holder. The debt exists, but the right to charge an undeclared/unapproved amount is something that I don't like.

This is my thoughts. What do you think?

I think when you do installments, the credit card bank issues full payment to the merchant minus a fee. In this case, the payment has been completed and the bank takes on the risk.
    Seriously doubt it. Banks are not in the business of taking on merchant related risks.

THey put a hold on the credit limit and then pay the merchant AFTER the payment is due on the billing cycle. Atleast thats how I'd do it.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Seriously doubt it. Banks are not in the business of taking on merchant related risks.

THey put a hold on the credit limit and then pay the merchant AFTER the payment is due on the billing cycle. Atleast thats how I'd do it.
    I know they put the hold on, but why wouldn't they do that? What's the difference to the credit card company if you buy a new TV in one go versus you buy a TV over installments. Merchants are willing to wait 24 months to recoup the money? Credit card companies prefer installments then because they minimize their risk? I imagine if I went out and maxed out my cards and decided not to pay that the merchants would receive their money but the credit card company would be the one screwed.

JayBl

I am holding a HKID but will not from October onwards. I have sent Pure a nice mail telling them I raised the case to expat networks and the consumer council. I immediatly received a call. Penalty is waived now and I can actually transfer the remaining three month via 3 month guest pass to someone else for 2700. Just posted an add to this. Thanks for guidance!

merchantms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBl:
    I am holding a HKID but will not from October onwards. I have sent Pure a nice mail telling them I raised the case to expat networks and the consumer council. I immediatly received a call. Penalty is waived now and I can actually transfer the remaining three month via 3 month guest pass to someone else for 2700. Just posted an add to this. Thanks for guidance!
    Well done!