Like Tree200Likes

How Racist is HK?

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast

To be fair, English may be an 'official' language here but I would say that many can't speak it and most don't speak it well.

That said, you can get by perfectly well without it...on the other hand, blind people can get about perfectly well with a cane!

I think you miss out on a hell of a lot if you can't speak Chinese, but that isn't important to everyone...

So here we have an argument between folks who place a high value on knowing the local lingo and the benefits that flow from that and on the other side, people who don't find it necessary...

Let's avoid the usual dogpiling shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Based on this definition, Hong Kong and Western expats coming into Hong Kong do very well in terms of integrating. I think this is due to the policy of having English as an official language. However, when it comes to refugees and FDH, Hong Kong's policies are lacking. Hence the discussion of whether Hong Kong is racist/xenophobic or not should be directed there.
    They don't have a chance in Hong Kong if they don't speak either of the local lingual. It's so obvious that it's amazing people would argue otherwise. I can guarantee you some people are being paid less than minimum wage.
    civil_servant and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Creative83:
    They don't have a chance in Hong Kong if they don't speak either of the local lingual. It's so obvious that it's amazing people would argue otherwise. I can guarantee you some people are being paid less than minimum wage.
    Agree. My wife has Pakistani children in her school and while they do get a little support in Cantonese, their chances of success are very low.
    Creative83 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Agree. My wife has Pakistani children in her school and while they do get a little support in Cantonese, their chances of success are very low.
    There are two Pakistani families in my village and both are obviously well off...flash cars, kids going to international schools, etc...at least one of the families don't speak Cantonese...

Reviving the thread in 3, 2, 1......

Name:  Screenshot_20160925-183820.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  759.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by HKSAR:
    Reviving the thread in 3, 2, 1......

Name:  Screenshot_20160925-183820.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  759.6 KB
    Pakistani schools are segregated?

"White Australian Policy" - The hint is already embedded in this one .. Australia
    "White Supremacists" - USA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHairy:
    Pakistani schools are segregated?
    Effectively yes. There are only a few schools that cater to minorities in HK, all the minorities get sent there and don't get any extra tuition in Cantonese meaning they all graduate school unable to speak or write Cantonese and can't then get decent jobs.

See the charity UNISON for more details on this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    they all graduate school unable to speak or write Cantonese and can't then get decent jobs.
    White expats don't speak or write Cantonese, still get very decent jobs....

Welcome to the EU

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 19 ... LastLast