YMCA Christian College

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hi Chandan

No prob. Ask me anything

I know this thread is a year old but the current principal of this school was the deputy head of my secondary school (south island school) and so was another teacher who taught me.

I remember them well.

Hi XXPinay,

This is great info. I am sure it has helped quite a few parents.

Please can you help refresh it with how YMCA Tung Chung is doing now.

Thanks,
    Sunti

Quote Originally Posted by xxpinay:
    ANSWERS

1.By G8 and G9 I assume you mean Form 2 and Form 3,right? Students from these years normally leave YMCA because they feel that the local system does not suit them.

2. Most Form 1 students are from Discovery Bay or Tung Chung. Nevertheless, I know many students who live as far as Cheung Chau (not in Form 1 though). Travelling to YMCA isnt difficult because right when you get off the train you can take a short walk to the bus terminal or carpool with your friends in a cab. About half of YMCA's students live in the neighborhood. The others are from all over Hong Kong.

3. In all forms there is always ONE class which is composed of local students only. It is usually the A class (as in YMCA). Yes the expat teachers still teach this class, particularly English lessons of course, but other subjects as well. Depends on what subjects your child will take.

4. The local students usually stick together...The non-locals have their own big group but with sub-cliques (e.g. there will be one big international group in Form 1 but their sub-cliques are the Nepalese, Filipinos, Indians, South Americans etc.) The local students who mingle with the internationals usually have some sort of international experience already (for example American born Chinese or Canadian born Chinese).

5. I'm not able to comment on this because I only take English subjects.. Sorry. Will ask my friends and get back to you on this.

6. Yes. Students have to walk to Yat Tung Estate. The bus doesn't officially stop service until 6pm, and the latest that you can stay in school is 5:30 pm, so there will still be trips. The problem is the long waiting time, which is why students prefer to get the bus at Yat Tung where buses depart every 5 minutes.

7. The food is a joke, brown bag your child's lunch or get him to order out. The local students get Chinese-style lunches delivered to them everyday, and the international students just bring sandwiches/ fruit. The present food is a typical junk food store, cup noodles and greasy tasteless burgers.

Our present principal (Rosalind Chan) is retiring and she will be replaced by Dr. Nicholas Miller. Everyone's relieved, especially the parents. Her local outlook didn't really help our school.

What else.............
    YMCA's pretty laidback until you get to Form 4. That's when they start pressuring you to do the work..

Hope I helped!

Our landlords' daughter attends the YMCA Christian College and they are happy with it. She is doing well there and wants to study Vet med in Australia.

As far as I have heard, they do have a good music and arts departments there.

Is that an International or local school? I am moving to HK next year and we are thinking of applying to YMCACC for our daughter. Does anyone else have any comments?

Can you please update on the current progress of YMCA CC. We live in Kennedy Town and are planning to apply for my son there next year. Is this college suitable for the NCS, particularly as my sons chinese is weak but he scores much higher in all his other subjects. Any input from your end on the college would be very helpful.