Like Tree5Likes

Giant outdoor vacuum

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Giant outdoor vacuum

I say every MTR station should install a couple of these, I wonder if this thing would help in crowded HK

Flash - Dutch unveil giant vacuum to clean outside air - France 24

I wonder how much particles are generated powering that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    I wonder how much particles are generated powering that thing.
    Depends on the power source right... This is why clean energy generation, at source, is important

For instance, as much as I love Tesla and what they represent, in certain countries, *cough* Australia *Cough* for example, they are not all that clean since their power comes from dirty old fossils.

The sooner the world moves to clean(er) energies, the better - at least HK gets some of it's energy from the atom.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Depends on the power source right... This is why clean energy generation, at source, is important

For instance, as much as I love Tesla and what they represent, in certain countries, *cough* Australia *Cough* for example, they are not all that clean since their power comes from dirty old fossils.

The sooner the world moves to clean(er) energies, the better - at least HK gets some of it's energy from the atom.
    Your perceptions of what generates Australian electricity are out of date. Renewables has taken off like crazy over there. At one point it is believed South Australia was powered entirely by wind. Except that its not stable so then they blacked out the whole state....

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Your perceptions of what generates Australian electricity are out of date. Renewables has taken off like crazy over there. At one point it is believed South Australia was powered entirely by wind. Except that its not stable so then they blacked out the whole state....
    Name:  AusPower.PNG
Views: 168
Size:  19.3 KB

From here

I wish I was more wrong, but the fossils still power the bulk of energy in Australia.

For a breakdown of energy in NSW see here
    TheBrit likes this.

My point was the rate of change . A few years ago it was nearly 100pwrcent . To go from that to 100 percentage renewable in some hours (or hour or minute )is remarkable . And not actually good for the system .

My point was the rate of change . A few years ago it was nearly 100pwrcent . To go from that to 100 percentage renewable in some hours (or hour or minute )is remarkable . And not actually good for the system .
    Depends which party is in power, the liberals are climate change deniers sadly
    But I agree with you, it's good to have a mix and it's good that Aus has made some change, but I would like to see nuclear in Aus.

That's ok. Problems drive innovation as the pressure mounts to find solutions. Brains think differently under duress.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Depends which party is in power, the liberals are climate change deniers sadly
    But I agree with you, it's good to have a mix and it's good that Aus has made some change, but I would like to see nuclear in Aus.
    Nuclear can have lots of outages too. Remember Japan? That was months of outages. Besides that, many nuclear reactors are over budget and behind schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Nuclear can have lots of outages too. Remember Japan? That was months of outages. Besides that, many nuclear reactors are over budget and behind schedule.
    Seriously? You are comparing a reactor destroyed by a tsunami to the intermittency of a wind farm or a solar panel?
    Nuclear is an excellent baseload option for zero carbon emissions. However it's also expensive. But the majority of the costs of nuclear comes from the safety - safety on top of safety on top of safety. Fukushima was one of the world oldest reactors and didn't have quite as many layers of safety as modern ones. And it still didn't kill anyone.
    shri likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast