Like Tree3Likes

Uber Hong Kong - Shutting Down Taxi and Van Services

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I only used the ride-sharing function of Uber when I tried it out for a week; left it on from Saikung to Tai Po then to Kwai Chung not 1 single ride sharing customer, now I uninstalled the app =P

They limited it to 2 shares per day, not sure if this will change now. I thought they were trying to promote the actual taxi side of the business with the limit (so not all drivers will just drive around picking their own destination rather than letting passengers choose where ever they want to go)

Looks like SCMP forgot to explain what is actually happening, to Harry.

“Only taxi owners do not welcome Uber. For cabbies who rent a taxi, they have the Uber channel to introduce them to customers for free. Uber only brings benefits to us.”

Ricky believed UberTaxi service, which provided commission-free app services, attracted more drivers and users to sign up for its car-hailing platform.
    (Have read elsewhere that Uber drivers, after all costs considered are essentially making close to minimum wage - in the US. Not sure what the hourly rate ends up being in HK after all costs are deducted. In places like India, several people have invested in new (or new used cars) to jump into this business with Uber and their local competitor)

Too much risk and too little money deters Hong Kong Uber drivers | South China Morning Post

I'd like Uberpool for HK. Could save a lot of money getting to the ferry pier with others.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    (Have read elsewhere that Uber drivers, after all costs considered are essentially making close to minimum wage - in the US. Not sure what the hourly rate ends up being in HK after all costs are deducted. In places like India, several people have invested in new (or new used cars) to jump into this business with Uber and their local competitor)

Too much risk and too little money deters Hong Kong Uber drivers | South China Morning Post
    Most of the drivers I chat to use it as a second job or are semi-retired and need to get out of the house for a few hours per day. Many think that taking into account depreciation on their car they aren't really making very much. Unfortunately they are competing against some of the worst paid taxi drivers in the developed world.

Well, it is impossible for me to get a medical license or practice law or even rewire my apartment.

Just saying....

Is Uber a ride sharing app (great idea, meet strangers going your way) or a cheap taxi service? One is a truly novel disruptive technology; the other a cheap imitation of existing business. Airbnb for example is more disruptive imho because it seems (for now) to stay closer to its roots of sharing a spare room....

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Is Uber a ride sharing app (great idea, meet strangers going your way) or a cheap taxi service? One is a truly novel disruptive technology; the other a cheap imitation of existing business. Airbnb for example is more disruptive imho because it seems (for now) to stay closer to its roots of sharing a spare room....
    It's a e-hailing taxi firm that takes 25% of the ride for branding and technology but doesn't pay it's employees their social costs such as health insurance, MPF etc.

McDonanlds used to use freelance delivery crews but deck them out in the company livery. The court rules they were being treated like employees so they should be treated like employees and be given the benefits of being an employee.