Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By jonastainine
  • 1 Post By wayland
  • 1 Post By Golden Hawk
  • 1 Post By gab_alexander

Asia Miles vs Cash Purchase for Electoronics

Closed Thread

Asia Miles vs Cash Purchase for Electoronics

In purchasing electronics at some stores, the use of a credit card increases the overall cost by 2%.

From this article: https://www.moneyhero.com.hk/blog/en...air-mile-worth it seems the benefit is about the same 2%.

Pro of using a card is not carrying case around.

Are my calculations correct? Any other things to consider?

TIA!

JaredHK likes this.

First of all the best way to generate Miles is with other people's money while on a business trip. For personal travel book whatever the cheapest like most people do. If you need to pay more to get Asia Miles such as via agoda for example then go for it but again as long as someone is paying for it. When I book for a personal stay I choose the same but cheaper option with no mile. I never redeem my miles for economy. What is the point of that since I can buy an economy ticket in a variety of ways to nearly anywhere cheap. I only redeem for premium economy or business when I can get the most value.

Golden Hawk likes this.

Mileage reward programs are subject to inflation as companies will devalue their miles. What you perceive to be equal may not be by the time you accumulate enough to redeem something with. If you think it's equal, why bother? Why would you let a company hold your money rather than holding onto it yourself?

Miles are definitely good to collect but paying extra on your retail purchases doesn't seem wise.

Golden Hawk likes this.

Never spend miles on most electronics, why bother spend 6000 miles on a 32 GB USB stick while you can buy one is wanchai for under 200HKD? There is an exception though, I did the Math and found those Shure headphones have the highest dollar-mile ratio.

Some fancy 64 Gb USB Stick 13000 miles
    Retail Pice 200 (Wan Chai rate)

Shure SE215 9600 Miles (as of today)
    Retail Price 650 (Wan Chai rate)

Go for Fancy USB stick:
    200 dollar / 13000 = 0.015 dollar/ mile

Go for Shure SE215
    650 dollar / 9600 = 0.067 dollar/ mile

Conclusion?
    Don't earn miles for the sake of electronics, but if you have to spend your miles, go for Shure!

Last edited by gab_alexander; 03-06-2017 at 09:34 PM.
    shri likes this.