Like Tree3Likes

IPhone shopping in Japan?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IPhone shopping in Japan?

I guess there are a lot Japan shoppers here and hope somebody can give some advise.

I noticed that the iPhone 7 128Gb is about HK$ 600 cheaper in Japan. But Japan has sales tax, which I believe you get back as tourist. Is that right? And can Japanese phones be used in other countries?

According to here Japan has currently the world cheapest iPhones:

– iPhone Prices Worldwide!

The photo shutter noise can not be disabled on Japan sourced iPhones.

happy_camper likes this.

The price mentioned in the website is excluding sales tax of 8%. To find out your savings you must deduct the administration fee for tax refund if any.

Last edited by Drunken Master; 04-12-2016 at 06:22 AM.

Yes, the photo shutter sound cannot be disabled. The other thing is (based on my experience with replacing an iphone 5S that was damaged when I was on a trip to Japan) that the version of the iphone sold in Japan is not compatible with Mainland China 4G. It works OK in HKG, USA, Europe, but not in PRC.

Japan adds 8% tax to the price you see, which you can usually avoid paying on the spot at the time of purchase as long as you show your passport with a tourist visa in it (show at the time of purchase and not at airport as some other countries do)

I understand the 8% sales tax you don't have to pay as a tourist, but the forced photo shutter noise is really not so good. I might skip that JP purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by happy_camper:
    but the forced photo shutter noise is really not so good. I might skip that JP purchase.
    Ya that shutter noise gets in the way of taking up skirt pics LOL
    greenmark likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Ya that shutter noise gets in the way of taking up skirt pics LOL
    Wouldn't a really thick skirt muffle the sound somehow? Anyway, I think more about taking picture notes in meetings etc.

Last question to those that might know - can the shutter volume be controlled at all or is it fixed?

The volume can be controlled by covering the speaker with your thumb when you take a picture

chuckster007 likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_camper:
    Wouldn't a really thick skirt muffle the sound somehow? Anyway, I think more about taking picture notes in meetings etc.

Last question to those that might know - can the shutter volume be controlled at all or is it fixed?
    I think you would have to jailbreak it for a workaround.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast