Like Tree3Likes

U.K. Tax return online - different for no residents?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

U.K. Tax return online - different for no residents?

Seemed non resident can't use the hmrc site to file but need to use a third party software (list of software given on the site)

is that correct and if yes any recommendations for choosing software?

Im filing because I receive U.K. Rental income.

I use Taxfiler.co.uk.
    Easy to do.

Wong Jeremy likes this.

I had the same challenges. I asked around and another expat who is a qualified tax accountant, recommended ABC SA100, which costs GBP 15 for a licence for an individual submission and I found quite straightforward to use.

Wong Jeremy likes this.

I am non UK resident and I use the hmrc site to file my rental income...

Quote Originally Posted by penguinator:
    I am non UK resident and I use the hmrc site to file my rental income...
    Sadly the HMRC website states that non-residents should not file directly on the HMRC site and must file via ancillary software.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad

Apparently this is because the current online return does not have a section to declare residency status.
    penguinator likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scousebanana:
    Sadly the HMRC website states that non-residents should not file directly on the HMRC site and must file via ancillary software.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad

Apparently this is because the current online return does not have a section to declare residency status.
    sh*t

did you solve this? I did this last month, non-resident and filed in the hmrc site with my foreign address without issues. it calculated my tax and paid by credit card, no question asked.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinator:
    sh*t
    did you solve this? I did this last month, non-resident and filed in the hmrc site with my foreign address without issues. it calculated my tax and paid by credit card, no question asked.

I wish I had done that! That's what I had been doing in previous years, then I used a third party software and I missed the part where I could add my personal allowance or maybe it wasn't available... Long story short, I ended up calling hmrc about 10 times to try to fix the filing AND ended up having to pay a late payment fee which they refused to waive even though they couldn't view the details of my filing in their system for over a month, but they could see that I had filed it

I don't know if what I said makes sense, it was kind of a complicated situation.

I get sent a tax return form by HMRC to my HK address every year and I print out the supplementary form on residency from their website. I just submit the completed form by registered mail.

If you log into the HMRC website, you can send them questions through a form and they do answer them fairly promptly.

One year I found I had been filling my tax return incorrectly for previous years and had not been getting my personal allowance. I was told I could submit corrections and thereby get back the overpaid tax amount. Very helpful.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast