Like Tree52Likes

MTR South Island Line - Opening on 28/12/16

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy:
    Still would have made sense to have a Happy Valley Station or a South Causeway Bay Station (interchange) to make it more convenient for commuters coming from/going to Eastern District rather than clogging up Admiralty.
    Changing at Admiralty is not fun at all.

Also, the 2 times I've ridden on the new line I've almost died from frostbite. Something is wrong with the aircon settings. I'm used to sub-zero aircons in Hong Kong, but these things are approaching 0 Kelvin
    Something I've noticed on the new trains - does anyone know what that lower handrail by the door is for?
    No clue - too low for kids...

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    http://www.td.gov.hk/filemanager/en/...6/table32b.pdf

need to look at this again in 3 months to see how the traffic has dropped due to the investment of a new rail line
    Can you let me know how you found that PDF? Could not find it through visible navigation links - publications etc.

Not too sure if the number of buses has dropped - seems like they're a little bit less packed, arriving from South Horizons.

Congestion in the Aberdeen tunnel is quite often related to congestion further down (Cross Harbour Tunnel / Gloucester / Morrison Hill Roads)
    East_coast likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Can you let me know how you found that PDF? Could not find it through visible navigation links - publications etc.

Not too sure if the number of buses has dropped - seems like they're a little bit less packed, arriving from South Horizons.

Congestion in the Aberdeen tunnel is quite often related to congestion further down (Cross Harbour Tunnel / Gloucester / Morrison Hill Roads)
    It's on the TD website, under Transport in Hong Kong (left side 6th down) > Transport Figures (bottom of menu) > Monthly Traffic and Transport Digest. Click on the year then month you want.

This link goes straight to 2016.
    Transport Department - Monthly Traffic and Transport Digest 2016
    shri and East_coast like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:

https://www.google.com.hk/search?num...k1.j2oY1ZebIns

4th hit
    shri likes this.

@East_coast - Paul Zimmerman sent this today in his newsletter.

So, on an average, we're down from 10 closures a day to 1ish.

Since the South Island Line (East) started operation, congestion at Aberdeen Tunnel (Northbound) has eased. In January the tunnel closed only 34 times, versus 309 times for the same month last year. (Here are the statistics since 2014)

http://paulzimmerman.us3.list-manage...cad3cb?noembed
    civil_servant and East_coast like this.

One year later...

This line is pretty much at max-capacity during rush hour with the 3-car trains going every ~2 minutes.

Not sure how MTR Corp is going to accommodate even more commuters from the future ~4700 apartment units to be built on top of Wong Chuk Hang Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoTommy:
    One year later...

This line is pretty much at max-capacity during rush hour with the 3-car trains going every ~2 minutes.

Not sure how MTR Corp is going to accommodate even more commuters from the future ~4700 apartment units to be built on top of Wong Chuk Hang Depot.
    Can't they add more cars per train or is that the limit?

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Can't they add more cars per train or is that the limit?
    I don't think they can as the platforms on the SIL were built for the 3-car/compartment trains unlike the Ma On Shan or West Rail Lines where they originally built the station platforms longer than necessary and expanded the number of cars on their trains as needed.

Original Post Deleted
    Cheaper? How can moving all the excess people to Georgia to ride on that train instead be cheaper?
    civil_servant likes this.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rathunt:
    Cheaper? How can moving all the excess people to Georgia to ride on that train instead be cheaper?
    It will be much cheaper for the excess people to buy property there.. I believe decent 3 bedroom apartments go for around HKD 1.000.000 in the center of Tbilisi. So think of all the money they can save simply by selling their apartment here and moving to there. The move itself may cost some money but the future savings would be huge for all involved. A true win win for those going (cheap living, fresh air) and those staying (less crowded). Not to mention finally utilizing the ridiculous winter clothes they now wear here for no good reason at all.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast