Like Tree6Likes

Tax Payment By Credit Card

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

You won't get miles when paying tax. I paid mine with credit card to get the cash back and an extra month delay interest free. But not for miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Thanks Claire-there go the free flights!

And you also don’t necessarily get the cash back - Hang Seng explicitly states tax payments are exempted from money back schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by spode:
    And you also don’t necessarily get the cash back - Hang Seng explicitly states tax payments are exempted from money back schemes.
    Standard chartered have a specific promotion. Pay your tax with SCB credit card and you get cash back. Need to register at the link below.
    https://www.sc.com/hk/campaign/tax-p...ax_payments_en
    spode and misshappy26 like this.

Just a heads up, the Standard Chartered link I posted above on 24th Feb used to link to a page for $450 rebate if you pay your tax bill by visa card. But now it has changed to "Phase 2" which is an extra $50 if you pay the second installment of tax also by visa card. It requires re-registering. So if you've already signed up for the $450 rebate for paying the first round of tax, don't forget to sign up again now for an extra $50 for the second round.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    You won't get miles when paying tax. I paid mine with credit card to get the cash back and an extra month delay interest free. But not for miles.
    Can you use an overseas card?
    If so ... the no points rule will not apply

Also you can try paying 2-3 times more than you need to. Not sure about HK but elsewhere they usually refund you the extra by check.

Interesting offer, shame I dont get paid enough to pay income taxes. Dont blame me, blame HK government, they kept giving discounts on income tax!

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    Can you use an overseas card?
    If so ... the no points rule will not apply

Also you can try paying 2-3 times more than you need to. Not sure about HK but elsewhere they usually refund you the extra by check.
    Interesting tricks. But doesn't using an overseas card incur a hidden 2-4% in currency exchange fees etc. I doubt its worth doing just for the points.
    JaredHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Interesting tricks. But doesn't using an overseas card incur a hidden 2-4% in currency exchange fees etc. I doubt its worth doing just for the points.
    It depends on the points on offer. If its a substantial signup bonus like 75-100K it might be worth the effort.
    Most US cards waive foreign transaction fees and you don't lose much on the exchange rate. I am not sure about non US issued cards.

HK issuers are blocking points selectively with some merchants but if a overseas card is used with that same merchant..you should be fine.

Paying taxes using an HSBC credit card doesn't qualify for Rewards Cash points