Like Tree24Likes

What does the Hong Kong Sevens have to do with Hongkong

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My team is mostly made up of locals and although they are predominantly middle class and well-educated, many of them having spent time abroad, very few of them knew what 7s was. When the chance came up for them to go on Friday in our corporate box, none of them were that keen initially, but after some gentle encouragement, they agreed to go and had a fantastic time, with most of them saying they would definitely go again next year if they get a chance. 7s is a much more accessible spectator sport than 15s.

I think the idea of free evening tickets could be quite popular, Hongkongers love a freebie and it would introduce more locals to the sport.

I also went to the pre-7s gig on Thursday night at the IRC. The audience was around 95% white (mostly British male). Being of Chinese origin, it's weird feeling like the ethnic minority in Hong Kong!

shri and drumbrake like this.

Free tickets, a Snoopy or Hello Kitty souvenir and it's all good

[stereotype me much!]

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Anyone who has studied in the UK can report that the rugby team is the biggest partying/drinking social group at most universities.
    So in other words, nothing to do with Hong Kong?

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    it used to be a UK colony

Boooom!
    jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PokfooLamin:
    Note that rugby is on the DECLINE in player numbers in Australia and has flat-lined in Hong Kong. It has grown as much as it can in its current incarnation (e.g. not being taught in schools, no one here has private health insurance and the public system can refuse to treat your shoulder, etc.)
    You kind of had me there until you cited injury potential and a lack of private medical insurance as a factor that discourages rugby participation

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    it used to be a UK colony

Boooom!
    Explains its popularity in France.

Quote Originally Posted by Scousebanana:
    I think the idea of free evening tickets could be quite popular, Hongkongers love a freebie and it would introduce more locals to the sport.
    Free tickets would result in thousands of local grandma's qeuing up in the middle of the night so they can scalp the tickets to tourists the very next day.
    shri and FrancisX like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    The question was, why did HK 7s organizers link rugby and partying. The answer is, because rugby in its country of origin is linked to partying. If you find this leap in logic too far I apologize.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Explains its popularity in France.
    We beat the British and any sport at which we can kick their arse... is popular

okok am out

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    The question was, why did HK 7s organizers link rugby and partying. The answer is, because rugby in its country of origin is linked to partying. If you find this leap in logic too far I apologize.
    its Monday. Be nice.. he is recovering from the 7s
    merchantms likes this.