Like Tree10Likes

Pre-Kindergarten for 4 year old - Entrance for January 2018

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by librarygirl2:
    Found this on the ESF website:

ESF is proud of the high academic and wider achievements of our students. In 2016, 16 ESF students achieved the perfect score of 45 points in the IB Diploma examinations; more than 95% go on to leading universities worldwide.

Seems like ESF schools are pretty competitive. Are the ESF students miserable? just asking. Not being facetious.
    Would not worry about it at Kindy levels. Happy kids...

ESF is fine (no issue w competition at all). Take a look at PIPS as well (park view and Elements/ICC)

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    ESF is fine (no issue w competition at all). Take a look at PIPS as well (park view and Elements/ICC)
    Heard PIPS is hard to get into and has a debenture? That was about the Elements branch though.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Heard PIPS is hard to get into and has a debenture? That was about the Elements branch though.
    There is a debenture (pre nursery is 5K, Kindie is 50K but they refund it at the end).

Hard to get in, yes and no. if you do not get in at first, they have some supplemental programs (called stepping stone or things like that where your kid can go for 3 hours every day and once a place opens up at Nursery level they move you in).

PIPs is a bit far if you're living in mid-levels. There are plenty of options in the Central/Mid-Levels area

Quote Originally Posted by librarygirl2:
    Rani,
    Thank you so much for this information. Are ESF schools HK Government schools? And what is the difference between ESF and Montessori schools? I know the principles of Maria Montessori but no idea on ESF even after reading the ESF website. I think the majority of the schools are in the New Territories area except for one in mid-level. I see the tuition is not too bad considering the higher tuition I've heard of for many HK students. However, $76,000 HKD for 3 school hours per day?

I'll keep these schools in my bookmarks. Thanks!
    ESF schools are all across Hong Kong and they have kindys, primary and secondary schools. I brought up ESF because you need to start thinking about primary schools as well. The deadline to apply for a ESF primary school (and some other schools) 2018 intake is this September 2017.

Also think long(er) term. What curriculum would you like for your child, IB or not for example. Do you want a strong Chinese programme, then ESF won't be for you, there are only a handful of true 'dual language' schools in Hong Kong. And last but not least, what is your budget, annual school fees here in HK can easily increase anywhere from 5-10% per year also something to take into account, not to mention the very costly debentures at many schools.

Also consider Victoria. Strong Chinese programme but quite academic and difficult to get into.:

https://www.victoria.edu.hk/eng/Prog...lumStreams.php

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones:
    Also consider Victoria. Strong Chinese programme but quite academic and difficult to get into.:

https://www.victoria.edu.hk/eng/Prog...lumStreams.php
    I'm sure you're trying to help but Victoria is one of the most competitive kindergartens in HK. OP is moving with a child who is 4 years old in the middle of the school year who speaks no Chinese. This isn't really a likely choice for her.
    shri and librarygirl2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    I'm sure you're trying to help but Victoria is one of the most competitive kindergartens in HK. OP is moving with a child who is 4 years old in the middle of the school year who speaks no Chinese. This isn't really a likely choice for her.
    Oh yup, just read child speaks no Chinese yet. Forget Victoria then. You could try Right Mind Kindergarten, they feed into some of the more competitive schools such as ISF.

http://www.rmkg.org/?lang=en
    Last edited by Mrs. Jones; 18-05-2017 at 11:36 AM. Reason: add link