Like Tree68Likes

Places in HK to bring older people? (70+ years old)

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dddc:
    Which hike is relatively easier, Quarry Bay to Tai Tam, Wan Chai to Aberdeen or Dragons Back?

Teaware Museum is a great idea, Hong Kong Park is lovely.

Never been to the Maritime Museum and sounds really convenient to check out since it's right at Star Ferry.

Thanks for all the ideas.
    Dragons back is probably the hardest of those, but beats them all for views hands down. The other two are mainly on paved roads through the park, Dragons Back is actually mostly not paved and thus far more interesting.
    dddc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dddc:
    Which hike is relatively easier, Quarry Bay to Tai Tam, Wan Chai to Aberdeen or Dragons Back?
    Easiest : QB->TT All on paved roads, gentle rise up to 300m and then back down a slightly steep road to flat reservoirs

Middle : WC->Aberdeen, very steep rise up Wanchai Gap at 300m and then much gentler down

The above 2 are basically the same but in reverse direction. The first one starts easy and finish steep, the second one steep start, gentler finish.

Dragons Back : is not hard but harder compared to the other 2. Only difference being the terrain which has more roots, rocks and unevenness while the first 2 are on paved roads.

My suggestion for elderly : Sir Cecils Ride, starting at Mt Butler Road. You can take a taxi all the way up to the entrance at 200m and then walk across to Quarry Bay with zero incline, and just down when you get to Mt Parker Road. No stairs, lovely views, shaded paths.
    shri, dddc, Fiona in HKG and 2 others like this.

Happy valley races on Wednesday? Ferry rides? Rooftop eating? Maritime and history museums are great . Bird market ? Macau ? Big bus tour (not Kowloon side it's rubbish). Bus to stanley market/ beach. Bus to big Buddha (maybe not walk up the steps!)

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    My suggestion for elderly : Sir Cecils Ride, starting at Mt Butler Road. You can take a taxi all the way up to the entrance at 200m and then walk across to Quarry Bay with zero incline, and just down when you get to Mt Parker Road. No stairs, lovely views, shaded paths.
    Great stuff - never done this before but sounds just perfect.

The mid levels escalators are unusual
    A walk along Hollywood road can be interesting for its antiquities.

depends on the visitor.

I know one 70+ year old visitor that saw the hire bikes in Tai Wai then went to Plover vove and back.

dddc and HK_Katherine like this.

Another idea - take a tram ride (upper level) from one end of the island to the next. Alternatively, they can hop on and off if they find a district they want to explore further

dddc and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by z754103:
    Another idea - take a tram ride (upper level) from one end of the island to the next. Alternatively, they can hop on and off if they find a district they want to explore further
    When my parents were here they found some bizarre fun in taking the tram end to end and ended up in Shau Kei Wan Seemed to me an awful waste of time.

10 000 Buddhas monastery sounds interesting, never heard of it until now. Will do some more research.

It's strange the MTR seems to traverse the Western New Territories quite well (all the way to Yuen Long etc) but hardly covers the Eastern New Territories (like Sai Kung).

In my 70s I'd probably try for one of those really long, Wifi-less, time consuming journeys (like the Silk Road) that one never is able to undertake while one is working!

I am surprised no one mentioned the quintessential HK historical site: Kowloon Walled City Park. It is easily accessible by Kowloon Bus Company bus #1 from TST ferry terminal, or 113 from HK Island, just naming two, amongst many other bus routes. The #113 bus drops you off right at the North Gate.

The park is a serene Chinese garden reconstructed with pagodas of uniquely styled roofs. There is an archeological site with some artifacts. The guided tours are in Chinese, however, the displays and interactive exhibits are clearly explained in English. You can explore all the nooks and crannies by yourself. Don't overlook going behind an impressively prohibitive wooden "wall/screen" that is beautifully carved with birds and flowers, etc. In that section you will visit different "rooms" behind dark curtains that are set with audio effects as if you are living in the walled city.

Easy walk in this uniquely HK landmark. Shouldn't be missed by visitors or local residents.

shsteve, z754103, dddc and 1 others like this.

Is Fook Lam Moon still any good? They requested a trip there because it is in some tourists' guide.

Walled City park sounds great, seems close to Nan Lian Gardens so can do both in an afternoon.