Like Tree5Likes

Samsung Pay launching in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Original Post Deleted
    All fair requests, and unfortunately none that I think are going to happen with the Octopus card.

Problem with Android Pay/Apple Pay etc are they are slower and more cumbersome than Octopus or the physical contactless payment methods.
    Was in Australia recently and used Paywave (or whatever it's called) everywhere, was really convenient, but still slower than Octopus.

We need all you requested, with the speed of Octopus.

Original Post Deleted
    For easy transport stuff, the payment is pre-authorized. If it turns to be without funds or fake, it's a super tiny loss. Also not so worth the effort of hacking a valid Android pay account just for a one single MTR trip.

China is rolling out WeChat to use on the subway now (I've seen it in a few stations). Not tried it yet but looks pretty nifty.

Original Post Deleted
    May I add: ability to 'move' Octopus onto my phone as payment method.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    May I add: ability to 'move' Octopus onto my phone as payment method.
    That is exactly what Japan has done, integrated their Suica/Pasmo (just like octopus) into the Apple Pay/Android Pay apps. Apple/Google have customised these apps for Japan to make it suitable for mass transit, no need fingerprint or phone screen to be unlocked to work, the cards are like a stored value card rather than a credit card.

Oyster in London is fully integrated with contactless credit cards.

Late-comer Samsung Pay goes live in Hong Kong | South China Morning Post

Look out for some rebate offers.

Banks include BOC, Citi, Dah Sing, DBS and SCB (as well as Amex).

Apart from Citi all the other banks offer other forms of contactless (such as Apple Pay or Android Pay).

@pin - did they offer you a free phone?

Citi is offering customers free Samsung Galaxy S8s and a cash rebates to selected credit card customers who used Samsung Pay. While DBS said it will offer cash rebates to customers using the new Samsung service.