Like Tree171Likes

Duterte (part 2)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Duterte (part 2)

Since the other thread remains closed - starting a new one to continue the debate (ideally without the idiotic vitriol).

@hullexile - a friend of mine asked me where to find the official crime and murder statistics. Do you have a good link?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Since the other thread remains closed - starting a new one to continue the debate (ideally without the idiotic vitriol).

@hullexile - a friend of mine asked me where to find the official crime and murder statistics. Do you have a good link?
    I did look a while ago but they only seem to up to 2012 on the government site. Will look.

I did look a while ago but they only seem to up to 2012 on the government site. Will look.

Edit 2014.

Philippine Statistics Authority | Republic of the Philippines

Some may wonder what happened to the Duterte impeachment case.

Vote in committee 42-0 against.

Vote in plenary 217-4.

The claimant produced no evidence or documents.

As one of the strongest opposition members said "how can I vote for impeachment based on material pulled together from the internet?"

The claimant afterwards said "this shows the government are unable or unwilling to prosecute...".
    ICC rules state they can only consider a case where "the government are unable or unwilling to prosecute". I think that explains the farce.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:

Edit 2014.

Philippine Statistics Authority | Republic of the Philippines
    I searched for "crime" on there and came up with nothing!

I searched for "crime" on there and came up with nothing!
    Download the 2016 pdf report. I think crime stats are page 23.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

After being discussed for months Duterte flagged the first tax reform package as urgent on Monday. This evening in the space of four hours it passed first, second and third readings (after several amendments). 294-7 I think it was.

Basics:

tax threshold below which no tax is paid increased by 2500% so that it is more than double average wage. Except for the very rich who will pay more, tax rates reduced as well.

More than offsetting this and therefore helping to fund infra spending taxes on:

New cars ranging from 3% for the cheapest to 90% for the most expensive

Tax on fuel. 40% of the money raised on this will go to additional welfare payments

Tax on sugary drinks. This will bring in a fortune but hopefully save a few lives. This is the one that is regressive but the amount of sugary drinks sold here is mindblowing with the to be expected incidence of diabetes.

Change to tax on self employed (an amazing percentage of whom declare they make very little profit) from 32% net income to 8% gross income.

Package 2 is next up which cuts corporate tax from 32% to 25%.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Latest numbers on the drug war

Surrendered 1,304,795

Currently in rehab 65,697 (7 more rehab centres soon to open)

Arrested 82,607 (including 119 elected officials and 138 gov't officials)

Killed in police operations 3116 (47 police killed, 132 injured)

Other drug related killings 2091 (note this does not mean drug war related, believe it or not there were drug related killings before)

Crystal meths seized 2341 kilos (over 100 million doses)

Murders/homicides (11.25 months) 12,426
    For comparison 2012 = 11,506. 2013 = 15481. 2014 = 15,165

Last edited by hullexile; 12-06-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Another gem, but nothing compared to the New York Times.

"Said to be 'resting'". He did 23 extremely long days in a row. He is 72. The night before his break he was up all night with the families of killed soldiers. He is working from his office, plenty of photos showing that. He is not, as many papers (the ones who never lie) "sleeping while Marawi burns". What 'resting' means for him is not travellng or doing public appearances. It does not mean he is not working.

The pivot to Asia (not China) is unaffected. He has repeatedly said the Philippines has to honour the 1951 treaty with the USA. There was a joint military exercise with the Americans just a few weeks ago.

He said he would not buy arms from the USA nor accept secondhand arms. These arms were donated and new.

Still this is all largely Duterte's fault according to the NYT because he ignored ISIS. Let's just not mention that it started long before he became President (remember the Zamboanga City seige in 2013 or the beheadings in 2014, 2015, 2016?). Let's ignore the fact that he has been warning about ISIS for a year.

Theses reports are all sane though compared to the Liberal Party politician in the Supreme Court who argued this was not a rebellion but rather just Maute/ISIS defending themselves against an army attack!

P.S. Just to clarify the US military are not fighting but providing things like drone observation.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 52 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast