Like Tree63Likes

Moving alone in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nnat:
    12K for renting a place there? thats a good deal .. thought rents were more expensive there
    New buildings with gym, swimming pool (club house) etc VERY EXPENSIVE.
    older buildings with no facilities - Normal pricing

Central (Midlevels), SOHO etc - Also Expensive

You dont want to waste 50% your salary on rent, save money and travel which you like. Try to stick to maximum 15K per month on rent.

Never ever rent a place without seeing it physically. Always rent a serviced apartment for the 1st month, go to areas to have a look at during the day and night and find a local AGENT in that area to show you apartments.
    nnat likes this.

thank you
    is hk safe ? any places safer to live as a single girl?
    i will have a service appt for a month already. also is electronic good expensive there? such as phone, tv, computer?

thank you
    is hk safe ? any places safer to live as a single girl?
    Very safe. One of the safest in the world. I can't think of a non-safe area in Hong Kong for girls.

i will have a service appt for a month already.
    Good, then you have some time to look around and pick your favourite area.

also is electronic good expensive there? such as phone, tv, computer?
    Not expensive, but also not cheap. Standard price.
    nnat likes this.

thank you. Last question, weather Wise .. i guess i should not move with my winter clothes ...

Winters aren't very cold, but the air can be very damp and many apartments don't have heaters. On top of that, buses will still use air conditioning. You'll need a warm jacket, sweaters, long pyjamas, a track suit, and maybe a hat to keep you warm. No need for long underwear or ski suit.

nnat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Very safe. One of the safest in the world. I can't think of a non-safe area in Hong Kong for girls.
    Sham Shui Po, Mong Kok, Northern New Territories... Those are bad locations for a lone white girl IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Not expensive, but also not cheap. Standard price.
    Reality is, there are not that many options for electronics in HK stores (because of the rent and hence size of a showroom), and they are usually overpriced (notable example is Dyson).

i would to live in HK island/central/kennedy town in a decent size appartement (large simplex or small one bedroom). My work will be in Kowloon ifc. I love travelling and good food.
    IFC is on the HK island, the one erects on the Kowloon peninsula is ICC.

12K for renting a place there? thats a good deal .. thought rents were more expensive there
    Frankly, I don't think HKD$12k/month can get you anything, AT ALL, on the HK island. Rent at the Kennedy Town area is not that cheap, especially since its MTR station was commissioned in late 2014.

If you insist to rent for HKD$12k/month on the HK island, I would say you will be lucky if you can get something that is more than 300 square feet and less than 50 years old.

A more realistic budget would be HKD$20k/month as suggested earlier, for a "decent size" apartment for one person.

And yes, you can live quite lavishly with a HKD$58k/month income. Average salary for local people is less than HKD$15.5k/month so go figure.

Sorry meant to say icc
    thanks

That's exactly what I thought.. 20 is what I ve been targeting
    thank you for those advise it's very helpful

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast