Like Tree46Likes

Is 37K good enough for salary in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

9K gets you a 2-bedroom apartment in Tuen Mun, close to the MTR (an hour commute to Central) with a club house and swimming pool.
    Alternatively, 9K can get you a rat-ass size shoes-box studio in a collapsing building on the Island
    You choose. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by SannyJ:
    It is doable, but will be tough.
    Don't forget that you need to pay tax and MPF out of your salary. With that and the money you give your family, you will only have about 25k to live on.
    Rent and bills would be around 10k, provided you live over on the Kowloon side. You may be able to find a room in a share flat for your budget in the suburbs you listed on the island but it will be harder. The smaller and cheaper apartments don't really have a kitchen, so cooking might not be an option. If you enjoy Chinese food, there are plenty of local food options which are quite cheap and you could feed yourself for 15k a month easily. I have not included the costs for transport as that will depend on where you work.
    Not sure what your lifestyle is like where you are right now, but I would definitely weigh it up with a move in HK.
    Thanks for your reply, SannyJ.

Another question that I have in mind is can I still negotiate with my prospective employer? Say, if they can make it around 40-45? I am not sure if it's possible, but it's an MNC Bank based in Causeway Bay, so you think they might reconsider? They won't cover my airfare and the first 14days of stay (which I think is a standard (to cover my first 14 days + airfare) since they will be relocating me from my country to HK) there while looking for a permanent place to rent to.
    Last edited by yoshioka09; 12-06-2017 at 05:43 PM. Reason: detail need to be elaborated

Quote Originally Posted by yoshioka09:
    They won't cover my airfare and the first 14days of stay (which I think is a standard since they will be relocating me from my country to HK) there while looking for a permanent place to rent to.
    They will or they won't?

Quote Originally Posted by Aysallas:
    9K gets you a 2-bedroom apartment in Tuen Mun, close to the MTR (an hour commute to Central) with a club house and swimming pool.
    Alternatively, 9K can get you a rat-ass size shoes-box studio in a collapsing building on the Island
    You choose. Good luck
    I don't mind commuting. The company will be in Causeway Bay so it's roughly an hour travel by mtr, which I don't mind. I am very much okay with it, but since I am living alone, do you think I can find a place around Kowloon in my budget, (Given it's 1 bedroom with an OK bathroom and a stove where I can cook at least? (I'm okay flat sharing too)

Hi Jmbf,

The agent who's helping me said they won't, unfortunately. Do you think I can negotiate to do that for me? along with the salary?

I don't mind commuting. The company will be in Causeway Bay so it's roughly an hour travel by mtr, which I don't mind. I am very much okay with it, but since I am living alone, do you think I can find a place around Kowloon in my budget, (Given it's 1 bedroom with an OK bathroom and a stove where I can cook at least? (I'm okay flat sharing too)
    In Jordan, you can. Instead of stove you might need to use induction cook top.

Hi Jmbf,

The agent who's helping me said they won't, unfortunately. Do you think I can negotiate to do that for me? along with the salary?
    Is there any allowance for relocation ?

Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143:
    If you are open to flat sharing (where there is common kitchen and living room but separate bedroom) you can be done in 6-7k around. There are many sources to find such flat sharing listings like this forum, groups on FB, etc. If not, you can search ~180sq ft apartments for 9-10k with basic amenities. Since your office is in Causeway Bay, I would recommend you searching apartment near by like Wan Chai, Causeway Bay. This will cut down any commute related expenses to minimal. If it is 20-25 walk to work, you can take that - may be in one direction between home and office - good for health too :P

Count roughly 3k for groceries, 500-700 for electricity, water and gas, ~200 for WiFi (can get 500/1000Mbps line from HKBN/SmartOne), ~200-300 for mobile phone(depending on your usage). For meals, approx 4-5k a month (assuming daily spending of around 130-150 for two meals). These are 'generous' figures, IMHO. If you are in flat sharing, you can save in utilities and WiFi from above quoted as they would be divided.
    Thanks vyral! I'll be taking note of this. Truly appreciate it. Btw, can you advise if that 37K basic salary could be negotiable to my prospective client? I haven't still accepted the offer since I am trying to understand every single thing before finally deciding to move in and relocate there.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    They will or they won't?
    Hi Jmbf,

It's sometimes worth to negotiate but you have to have some idea of where you stand. Do you bring something unique to the role? Are there others under serious consideration as well? How badly does the company want you?

From what you have posted it sounds like the position is a local one. So I wouldn't hold much hope for any meaningful relocation allowances. If they could bump up the salary to 40-45K of course you would be able to save more / live a slightly better lifestyle BUT you'd have to weigh that against the risk of your employer choosing someone else willing to settle for a lower salary.

How badly do you want this role?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast