Like Tree22Likes

Leaving HK - things you missed

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My last office was on Euston Road, a major arterial road through London. On hot days in the Summer I used to feel very wheezy and was constantly coughing as I felt my airways were closing up, to a point where I really should have. This was a combination of hay fever (which has vanished since arriving in HK as my allergy is to grass pollen and there is barely any grass here) and air pollution. Fortunately there are usually only around 10 to 20 hot days a year in London!

Re Pollution -
    Facts:

rickyross, nickvv and jgl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    The photo and caption "A smoggy day in London town: the capital is one of the most polluted places on the planet" is a bit OTT compared to what we regularly see out here!
    Self-centeredness of our British friends comes as a surprise to you ?

The only thing I miss about England is the quality of meat in supermarkets. So basically I'd miss the majority of what HK has to offer. Creature comforts, convenience and safety.

I'd miss the feeling of safety. Getting used to the threat of street crime would take some time to get used to again.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeachHK:
    Haven't done the move so can't really comment, but...

That's always a big shock for me when I'm in the UK. That and the town centre is dead by 5 o'clock. Oh, and there are not restaurants to go to at 9pm as they've all stopped serving food. Though TBF I'm from a relatively small town.
    Your small town sounds lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Your small town sounds lovely.
    Sounds like most of Europe as long you are not in a major city and or touristy area.
    Try Pontarlier in France at 7pm and come back here (yup it's not Eze) and tell us

The biggest thing I miss from HK compared to where I am now?

Branston Pickle.

I'd miss table service in bars (or even a table at all).

Who else has been in Weatherspoons on a friday night, 4/5 deep at the bar, buying drinks 2 at a time because it takes 30 mins to get served?

Char Siu King likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    The biggest thing I miss from HK compared to where I am now?

Branston Pickle.
    Haha, I shipped a couple of jars to my mum the other week. You're not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    I'd miss table service in bars (or even a table at all).
    Who else has been in Weatherspoons on a friday night, 4/5 deep at the bar, buying drinks 2 at a time because it takes 30 mins to get served?
    I do miss their gammon steak served with a slice of pineapple and egg on top. Delicious.