Like Tree56Likes

Buying property in South-East Asia

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I think the thing to take away from the comments is that there is risk anywhere for different reasons. Are you prepared to take the risk of losing a lot of money (though there could be a gain instead)?
    I see it this way: is it better to invest 20 with the risk/possibility of losing/making 10 or is it better to invest 100 with the risk/possibility of losing/making 5?

A lot of people here have a lots of money and go for the second option: I don't

No decision made yet, for now still building up through 2800 tracker ehehe

Can anybody elaborate a bit on buying in thailand? I was thinking of getting a condo there but was deterred of the potential political risk, somewhat cringy malaysian developer, and the trouble of having to maintain it from HK and not being a thai speaker..

Original Post Deleted
    You are forgetting the first option for me is not available at all: I don't have 100 to invest
    Hence either I do nothing with the 20 or I invest them in a riskier environment
    Or I wait till they become 100 ehehe

In my second year out of University, my wife and I purchased some land in Nicaragua. It was our entire savings for those two years . There was nothing there, no roads, no power, no water, but one of the most stunning coastlines. Back then people still had an unstable perception of Nicaragua. People thought we were crazy.

Since then, the richest man of Nicaragua, who agreed that this part of Nicaragua had the most stunning coastline, built a 5-star resort, a world-class gold course, roads, and an airport. Anyhow, the gist of the story is, if you're worried about risk, my only advice is, go for something you truly love. Take your time and find that place and do it while you're young.

For 1.5 million to 2 million HKD, you may consider Da Nang in Vietnam. You can find plenty of good stuff there in that price range. Not sure whether you like hotel developments, but the Laguna Park Lang Co offers villas in an exclusive development close to your upper price range. The hotel reviews are good and the Laguna Phuket has a good reputation. I'm sure if you want to invest, they'd be willing to give a free stay to give you a 3-day sales pitch. Anyhow, go do some traveling, find a place you love, then go for it. Don't fall for the mass condo investments on offer in Hong Kong that show you a 3D print of a condo and give you all kinds of promises only for the projects to be delayed, or the location sucks, or the quality of the final delivery is sub-standard.

The Philippines is also a place to consider. There's quite a perception of risk, but risk means bargains. Go do some travelling there. Meanwhile, get a subscription to AsiaProperty magazine, which should give you a good idea of what's happening in different markets. Take everything as a grain of salt though. All their articles are written to promote a place. Nonetheless, still a good source for picking up trends.

Vix85 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vix85:
    You are forgetting the first option for me is not available at all: I don't have 100 to invest
    China?

I have not looked at it ever myself but know people who bought there (they are HK Chinese) in second cities like Chengdu for around 1/1.5mio HKD - big nice flats. No idea the yield.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    China?

I have not looked at it ever myself but know people who bought there (they are HK Chinese) in second cities like Chengdu for around 1/1.5mio HKD - big nice flats. No idea the yield.
    Is it possible for non-resident foreigners to buy in China? I thought that market was shut a long time ago or have there been recent changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Vix85:
    What I do not understand is why you are so fixated on an investment in real estate. There are many alternatives out there to invest in. And diversification is better than putting all your (financial) eggs in one basket.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Is it possible for non-resident foreigners to buy in China? I thought that market was shut a long time ago or have there been recent changes?
    Possible. There is a way to buy them. Restrictions apply. Oversupply of flats....look at the giant empty towns.

Saw some in Hangzhou, they decked it like it was a nice HDB area in SG.

My American wife bought a place in Zhuhai last year off plan, due to be completed in the next couple of months. It's stunning in terms of the facilities and It only cost about 2m HKD

Quote Originally Posted by Isabelleleo:
    Can anybody elaborate a bit on buying in thailand? I was thinking of getting a condo there but was deterred of the potential political risk, somewhat cringy malaysian developer, and the trouble of having to maintain it from HK and not being a thai speaker..
    Ive got a Condo in Thailand, I bought off plan several years ago, it got finished but slightly behind schedule and some of the things promised on the complex never materialised. Add to that an agent who has run off with a small amount of money of mine by jacking in his job before tending to what I had paid for and a saturated market in the area where I bought, I'd tread very carefully if I were you.

Buying in central Bangkok might be ok but the Junta still rule so there is political instability and the Baht is constantly strong despite the recent coup, terrorist attacks and political uncertainty.

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast